Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just started spitting up

Default Just started spitting up

Really dumb question, but I was curious if something has changed with my breast milk or the amount my DS is eating that is causing him to spit up. My son is 5 1/2 months and has just started within the last week or so spitting up about 1/2 the time after he eats. Not much, just a small amount, but it's odd. I know this is not unusual in general, but for him it is. He almost never spit up after BF. I wonder if he's eating too much? Or does something change with the BM? Or maybe his tummy is getting upset? He has not started solids yet. I am talking about when I am directly feeding him from the breast, not the bottle. He does over eat from the bottle, but I didn't think he could from the breast. I have never thought I've had an over supply problem, maybe even the opposite. I am not overly worried, but it's just odd and I didn't know what could be causing it. Any ideas? Thanks!

Default Re: Just started spitting up

Did anything in your diet change? Sometimes my LO spits up more depending on what I eat, if it's something she's sensitive to.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Could be a mild virus.

I'd probably buzz the doc and see what they think.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the responses! It has actually gotten better, except for when he just spit up all over me when I was bouncing him in the air above me!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    Did anything in your diet change? Sometimes my LO spits up more depending on what I eat, if it's something she's sensitive to.
    It could be- we were on vacation much of the past week and I was eating more "on the road foods"; fast food, restaurants, etc. I can see how it goes now that I'm home.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Could be a mild virus.

I'd probably buzz the doc and see what they think.
    I thought that at first, but he's just as happy and energetic as usual. But I will definitely keep an eye on it, maybe call if it starts up again. It does seem to be a bit better. Since I first posted this- he has only spit up once. I still wonder what it was though.