Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question re sudden drop in production

Default Question re sudden drop in production

I am going to provide some detailed history and I hope you can give me insight into (a) how to get back to this level of production, or (b) thoughts why I might have had this sudden drop.

My 5 month old has been on breast milk exclusively since day 1. I went back to work about 2 months ago when she was 3 months old, and we quickly got into a great pumping/ bottle feeding schedule. Since going to work, I have been pumping (like clockwork, basically) at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., and have been able to get about 5-6 oz total at each pumping session. Then, I wake up at 1 a.m. and pump one more time, and get between 5 and 7 oz.

This 15-18 oz total pumped per day has allowed me to provide Fiona breast milk for day care for the next day, so each day she is drinking fresh milk pumped from the previous day. I have not frozen anything and have no "stash" stored up. Whatever extra I pump she eats on the weekend when dad wants to have baby feeding time, or we throw it out (or lately, we mix it with pureed sweet potatoes, squash, other fresh veggies we get from a local farmer to freeze into cubes for her future solid eats- but she hasn't started the solids yet, we're waiting until 6 months).

Fiona's feeding schedule has been as follows from for the past 2 months:

6:30 a.m.- she eats with me on the breast
    9:30-10 a.m.- she eats 5 oz BM at day care
    12:30-1:30 p.m.- 5 oz BM at day care
    4 p.m.ish- 5 oz BM at day care
    6:30-7 p.m.- on the breast,
    8-9:30ish- on and off the breast until asleep, then down into the crib for the night (and she sleeps through night all the way up to 6:30 a.m. when I wake her. Lucky, well rested me!)

So we have had this fabulous, steady routine. Now, suddenly just this past weekend, I have started having sore nipples and lower production. At my day time pumping sessions, instead of getting 6 oz I'm getting 4-5. At my 1 a.m. pumping session, instead of the normal 6 or 7 oz, I'm getting 4. When I wake up in the morning at 6 a.m. instead of feeling uncomfortably full breasts, they just feel moderately firm but not even close to leaking or uncomfortable, as they used to be.

This has been going on for about 5 days now. Much to my chagrin, despite pounding down tons of water, eating oatmeal every day for breakfast and lunch, and adding a 4rth pumping session around 11 p.m., I have not increased my total pumped yield. Instead of the total 15-19 oz, I'm not getting about 14 oz a day total, which is close to what she needs, but still an ounce short (plus I think she's getting less at the breast, too).

Also, Fiona has started doing this thing while nursing lately where, when she gets bored or distracted, she starts playing with the nipple in her mouth and she chomps her gums down together hard on it. It really hurts like crazy. She doesn't have any teeth yet and when I feel around in her mouth, I don't feel like any are on the verge of coming through. She does it the most in the evening. I have responded by startling her, telling her no, and pulling her off the breast for about 5-10 minutes before resuming; but she doesn't seem to care. This is a recent development too. I don't know if the yield issue is related or not.

Any thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? Can my production just decide to tune itself down against my will like this and resist my efforts to tune it back up?

Default Re: Question re sudden drop in productio

Two thoughts:
    1) Has your period returned yet? My supply always drops like that for a few days before AF arrives. Once it does, my production goes right back up again.
    2) Could you be pregnant?

I agree with the previous poster. My supply would drop before my period arrived. Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing a lot of good things for your milk supply. Is there any way you could pump every 3 hrs at work? My LC advised me that any time you go longer than 3 hrs between pumping or nursing you are signaling to your body to make less milk. Brown rice also helped my milk supply more than oatmeal did.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

with the PPs. When a mom has a big dip in supply, the usual suspects are a return of the mom's menstraul cycle, pregnancy, or simply not pumping frequently enough (what constitutes "enough" is different for every mom). Another possible culprit: your birth control. If you've just started a new form of hormonal contraceptive, that could be to blame.

This is a useful link on increasing supply when pumping: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you to everyone on the thoughts. To answer your questions, definitely not pregnant (had Mirena IUD implanted in late August). Since contraceptive hasn't changed since late August, that shouldn't be the problem either. And, no period return yet. Maybe it's getting ready to come back though.

I will try adding brown rice and pumping 3x per day at work and see if that helps. Also will look into motherlove and similar teas/ natural supplements.

since it sounds like you are only short a few ounces, maybe try replacing pump valves and membranes, experiment with other horn sizes and/or use breast compressions & hand expression to get the yield you need..... My LO is just about the same age as yours and I rarely get overly engorged anymore and seem to produce consistently around the same amount every day.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong