Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 month old....INSATIABLE!

Question 11 month old....INSATIABLE!

I have an 11 month old...shes walkon and exploring everything. I still breastfeed her evey 3 hours sometimes 2 because her hunger is insatiable!!!

Do most breastfeeding mom give babies more food at this age or do you still predominately breastfeed? No one in my family ever has breastfed so I am at a loss here...

I dont really give her much jar food...

She eats 1/2 c of cheerios in the morning, maybe some bananas for lunch and not much else...
    Someone told me that all she really needs is breastmilk so extra food on top of her eating very 2-3 will mean im weaning her. (Hence why i try not to give her too much jar food)

In addition, she NEVER seems satisfied with my breastmilk so i dont know if im makig enough. I started giving her a bottle of formula a day (she only gets after she breastfeeds) she seems extremely satisfied and is in such a great mood. I try to make more breastmilk but have lost so much weight (145 pre-preg to 105) and wondering if my body is telling me enough is enough. Eerythig was going perfect till she hit 10 months.

Default Re: 11 month old....INSATIABLE!

Have you looked into baby led solids? She might find it more satisfying than jar food. But it sounds like she's hungry. I don't think at this point you need to introduce formula though. Perhaps just offering more food, more often. Also, it sounds like you aren't consuming enough calories. I did that with my first child. You need to be sure that you're eating enough and drinking enough or she will get all of her nutrition from you, meaning you won't be getting it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Just offer some more food. And just because you offer food does not mean your child will stop nursing. Breastfeeding is not just about feeding physical needs. Many toddlers go on to nurse quite a while after eating 3 meals and snacks a day. Weaning will happen...eventually, no matter what you do.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Right. And I wouldn't try to wean an 11 month old. Her 1st year molars are going to break and she is definitely going to need you for that. That plus it's cold and flu season. I think yo should definitely step up her solid intake. My son by a year point was eating 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks. He continued to nurse until he was 4.5 years old. But at the year point is when you want to BEGIN the weaning process. That is the point where you expect solids to begin to REPLACE some the the nutritional intake of breastmilk. And you can't really begin that process if you guys haven't begun to practice. So much of eating is ritual. You Should begin to sit her down 3 times a day and let her eat SOMETHING. Include her in family dinner. Her QUANTITY at this point isn't as important. But it begins become important next month!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks everyone. I will try to up my caloic intake as i only get 1450 or less by my calculations. And im glad to hear feeding her solids wont necessarily wean her off the breast.
    I dont know why I listen to my family or hubby when none of them have ever breastfed.

Question Re: 11 month old....INSATIABLE!

I am still quite curious, why do you all think that my 11 month old is in such a better mood after forumla?

I don't like using formula but I feel like she's sooo much happier. Like i'm inadequate which makes me feel depressed because I despise formula. But my hubby see's the improvement in her mood and I feel like he's trying to undermine my breastfeeding a little now.

I am not sure why you started feeding her formula AT ALL this late in the game. But I imagine she SEEMS more satisfied because it's harder on her system and harder to digest. So she seem FULL for longer. And don't they add a bunch of sugar to the toddler formula so that is doesn't taste like ass?

Way too lazy for formula

I dont use toddler formula...just enfamil 0-12months. I started feeding her formula because im trying hard to provide more milk for her and am having trouble. I give her food but maybe ts the warmth of formula that fills her. I've nursed her for 11 months so its not like I dont know anything about breastfeeding. I know how to improve my supply and i nurse on demand.

If I went 11 months without using formula, trust me, I caved in for a reason.