Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many times/day are you nursing?

Default how many times/day are you nursing?

today i went to my doctor who is treating me for a sinus infection and i told her that i was leary of meds b/c i was nursing. she perscribed amoxycillan for me and it is compatable with bf so we are good there, but she asked me how many times a day was i nursing and i said every three hours or so. she then looked surpised and said "really"

so my question is (just out of curiousity) how ofter are you ladies nursing?

my lo is 8 months old
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Default Re: how many times/day are you nursing?

no clue...really. sometimes frequentlly sometimes not. I don't really pay attention. With my first child it was amazing if she lasted 2 hrs btw sessions.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

At that age Ava was still nursing that often
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

my son is 8 months and nurses that frequently as well
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Now I have two hands free...every three hours is great. Not sure why the doctor was surprised. As long as you both are happy and healthy,no reason to worry about it My DD nursed all the time. My son, doesn't seem to nurse that frequently but I honestly haven't ever paid any attention because he's growing and we are both happy. It's easier to pay attention to the frequency when they are the only child, with him being 2nd born I haven't paid attention.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

If we're out and about he will go 4 hours between nursing, because he is so busy and distractible, but at night, he's every 2 hours or sometimes more. Right now he's teething and last night he nursed 5 times in 3 hours. But generally he nurses 6-8 times during the day and 3-4 more at night.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

my LO is 7 months and nurses 8-10 times a day. until a month ago it was 10-12 times a day.

i've had people be surprised at the frequency, from drs to relatives, but i think it's usually people not familiar with bf.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

My guy is 5 months and a week. He typically nurses every 3 hours. Today, he nursed 6 or 7 times. He'll wake at least once tonight to eat - if not twice. That's a typical day. Sometimes it's more. It's generally never less.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

My little guy is 6.5 months, and teething badly right now. Usually he nurses every three hours or so during the day, but during fussy time at night before bed its about once per hour. He used to wake twice between 9 and 6 for a feeding, but lately he has been up every 1.5-2 hours to nurse. I am hoping this will pass soon!!

My DD was nursing every 1-3 hours. Usually closer to every hour. At 14 months we nurse on demand when we are together, and she nurses just as frequently. I don't think there is a "normal" amount of nursing for certain ages.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love