Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding/nursing issues with 12 month old

Default Feeding/nursing issues with 12 month old

Hi,

I guess this is a little complicated, and I know each baby is different, but I'm hoping someone has some relevant experience or knows of some good resources relevant to this.

My DD is 12 months old and we are still nursing. She has been nursing about 6+ times during the day, and eating a meal for lunch in dinner. Lately she has been harder to nurse during the days unless she is going down for a nap (still naps twice a day). I would have no problem letting her naturally wean, if that's what she wants, except there are several complicating factors:

1.) What she eats in the way of solids cannot be called a meal. She picks at her food (only does finger food) and I would be shocked if she ever got more than an ounce (hard to measure) in despite my best efforts.

2.) Because of reflux problems we've had on-going complications introducing dairy. I feel uncomfortable letting her drop feedings of nutritious breastmilk when she doesn't have dairy to replace it.

If I let her have her way I feel like she would nurse upon waking up, before her two naps, before bed and then during the night some. Would those feedings be enough with her small solid food intake that doesn't include dairy?

Sorry for the really long complicated message... if anyone has any advice or resources I'd so very much appreciate it...

Default Re: Feeding/nursing issues with 12 month

That sounds normal to me. I think some babies are picky eaters, and take awhile to really warm up to solids. My LO really got into them around 15 months, but now she is in an uber picky phase again. I think as long as her diaper output is good, she's gaining weight, seems happy and healthy, that you're doing everything right. Just keep offering to nurse when you think she would accept/or when she demands and a variety of solids for when she does decide to come around to the idea of eating more. I think the standard after 1 year is something like at least 3-4 nursings a day should be enough milk to avoid supplementing with any cowmilk/other dairy products. The number of times she's nursing sound ok to me right now but she may go up or down in feedings over time. How's the teething? My LO was less interested in nursing during the day and more interested at night during "active" teething. HTH!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I agree with oakdryad5 - Mollie is 2 and until VERY recently, nearly all she ate was what she got from me, nursing in the morning (7am), after work (5pm), before bed (9pm) and thru the night. It has only been in the last couple of months (age 21, 22mo) that she started eating well, even now her only substantial table food meal is lunch at the babysitter - she eats next to nothing at home. She is happy, healthy, and meeting all her milestones.

Enjoy nursing her - I think the older they are, the more fun it is!!
    Lori -
    wife to Davis, my best friend and strongest supporter
    43 yo mom to 3

Lee Allen Christopher - 19 - precious preemie , all grown up; BF 6 wks
    Connor Ethan - 13 - my red head , ALL boy, ALL the time; BF 14 mo
    Mollie Rhiannon - 5 - my surprise , more fun than I ever expected; BFing, no end in sight!!

Thank you both for responding! It's reassuring to hear there are other picky eaters out there and toddlers who get most of their nutrition from breastmilk in only a number of feedings! We nurse all night as well which is an additional assurance she makes up for what she doesn't get during the day. Though the downside of this is that sometimes I think it exacerbates her reflux/gives her gas? Not sure.

I know that I just have to trust her to take what she needs and some days that may be more or less as you said oakdryad5. But we can definitely meet the 3-4 nursings a day! I just don't want to have to feel like I need to trick her into nursing anymore. If she has a day where she doesn't nurse a lot, that one day wouldn't jeopardize my milk supply would it?

No teething really... I think she's just super in to buzzing around. I took her to a playgroup this morning and she was so tired even after her afternoon nap that she wanted to nurse on and off all afternoon! Which is unheard of.

It's all just so stressful worrying if your pick eater/nurser is getting enough!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vtntchma View Post
    I just don't want to have to feel like I need to trick her into nursing anymore. If she has a day where she doesn't nurse a lot, that one day wouldn't jeopardize my milk supply would it?
    It's all just so stressful worrying if your pick eater/nurser is getting enough!
    I feel you! It may get a bit worse too in the distraction department, it did for us, as LO increased in mobility (running, climbing! stuff everywhere to get into!) I think at a year milk supply is pretty much well established so your supply *should* be fine, especially if you've had no issues with it until now. I think on days where I feel a little "low" I try to drink plenty of water, maybe eat a bowl of oatmeal, or have some mother's milk tea or even beer (extra relaxation!)

I also feel like you did about tricking her into nursing. You mean, oh she's just falling asleep for her nap, let me sneak some boob in there like a sneaky ninja! I think its best not to think of it that way if you can (except in an amusing way maybe). She is still a baby, she doesn't know what's best for her, but you do! Mobile distractababies will run themselves into the ground, try to avoid naps and eating, but you know when she's gotta nap you try to put her down for a nap and she resists but then falls asleep. IMO Its the same with nursing. She may not know that she wants it until she's falling asleep, and the worst that can happen is she will wake up and realize, hey no mama! and you can try again another time.
    Christine
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Yes, it sounds perfectly normal. She's probably much more efficient at nursing now, too. Toddlers get really good at getting milk out fast. There were times when I thought my son couldn't possibly be getting enough, but he apparently just nurses faster now and can get out in a few minutes what once took 20 minutes.

Oh my gosh, my tricking her into nursing is even worse than nursing her to sleep... we've been nursing to sleep since she started to refuse to nurse at 3 months because of her reflux! I dream fed her exclusively (while she was sleeping) until she she was 5 months +!! It was horrible. But my tricking now involves turning on a baby sign language DVD while she nurses. I know I really should stop doing that and just wait for her to ask... but she just often wont! Or won't have the patience to wait for a full feed, and pop and and off amidst running around the house for hours!

But maybe like you said bridgetc, she doesn't need a long nurse now. Would you call a nursing session that isn't even a minute long after your letdown enough? Sometimes she will suck long enough to trigger my letdown and then she's off because it took too long (as in more than a minute). If she nurses long enough to where her sucking slows, I consider that good enough...

Elena had a long stretch of months after she learned the sign for nursing where she just wouldnt ask/demand. she would just run around and then get cranky. i dont think what you're doing is something you have to stop if its working? I mean yea working on not using it as a crutch is good, but to get one or two feedings in there where there otherwise wouldn't be, I would use the dvds!

for many months I got so used to her not demanding, and me offering and her accepting. Also she did that too where she would get distracted right at let down and then just leave. I actually made a code word for letdown. Lol I can't believe I'm writing this but she liked this mother goose rhyme "the lion and the unicorn" so I would say that to her as we nursed, with other rhymes. And she started doing just as you mentioned so a few times at let down I was like "hey the lion and the unicorn!" and she would latch back on and go, hey! milk! so now that's our code word when she gets distracted and it seems to work. maybe something like that (or a sign) would help you too.
    Christine

That's actually a great idea to pair the letdown with a phrase or sign! She definitely will hang in there a little longer post-letdown, but still not for a full nurse... And I think I will just keep using the DVDs if I know she's gone way to long, or we have to be somewhere... at least they are age appropriate!

Just in the last week she's been asking to nurse more on her own which has been great! Though any sort of external distraction - forget about!

Thanks again for all the help/advice!

Doesn't sound picky to me .. that's just our mumma-interpretation of babes knowing what their bodies need.
    Let her graze .. have a variety of finger foods available to her all the time. Make it fun, but not necessary.
    Personally, I wouldn't let another species milk near my reflux baby!
    Is bub drinking other fluids?
    Breast is not best ~ it's the only first baby food

If breastfeeding offends, you are staring too hard