Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast milk/reflux/relactation??

Default Breast milk/reflux/relactation??

A friend of mine who has a 2month old son with sever reflux is formula fed and on two kinds of meds. While I was out to dinner with her last night she asked me if breast milk would help her son. Since I am not knowledgeable in all things breastfeeding I thought I would see what you ladies think. She is willing to go through the relactation process if the breast milk will help her baby.

Thanks in advance

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: Breast milk/reflux/relactation??

Yes, breastmilk will help her baby- but I don't think it's likely to help with the reflux. I mean, breastmilk is good for a lot of things- creating a healthy immune system, providing ideal nutrition for growth and development, lowering the risk of certain health conditions (obesity, diabetes, even malpositioned teeth)- but that doesn't make it a panacea, KWIM? There are plenty of breastfed babies on reflux meds.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanx
    Last edited by @llli*mallory3kids; October 17th, 2011 at 09:50 PM.

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

If the spitting up is due to an allergy with something in the formula, breastmilk may help. If it's dairy then she would have to be off of dairy too. It depends on what is making the baby spit up. My first son was on reflux meds and he was breastfeed so it may not stop it. I am relactating for my 2nd son who has now been put on reflux meds.