Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactating after 4 months

Smile Relactating after 4 months

Hoping to get baby back to breast after 4 months off. She is 6 months old now. I have been pumping for about a week now with a double electric Medela pump. I also started taking fenugreek last night. Switched birth control to nora so that shouldnt intervere. Drinking lots of water. No sign of milk! I do feel twinges in my breasts where I had mastitis before stopping at 2 months. Also my breasts are sore! What will I feel to know my supply is coming back? Will I go through engorgement like I did after birth?

We tried sns feeder last weekend but she was too hungry. This week we have taken baths together and had skin to skin time. When I am rocking her to sleep she has turned her head into me two nights in a row so I have offered the breast for comfort. She took it for about 2 seconds last night and 15 tonight! Wide open mouth and mild sucking... Not a complete latch by any means. Good sign? Progress?

Since I had little luck pumping when I had a milk supply I know the importance of baby and will try again this weekend. Any advice? I don't intend to be sole provider but desperately want a positive breast feeding experience for both of us. I do work full time so can only pump before work, noon, and, all evening.

Dedicated and hopeful!

Default Re: Relactating after 4 months

Hello, I am trying to relactate too. I started out by pumping 8 times a day. I know you said you didnt have much luck pumping, but the pumping will simulate the baby nursing until you can get her to latch on effectively. I also started taking fenugreek seeds.

My situation is a little different, I never started nursing and my son is 6 months old now. So far I have been able to replace 1-2 bottles everyday.

Good luck and keep working on it. The ladies on here are great!

Default Re: Relactating after 4 months

That's great news!!! How long did it take you to get milk? Thank you for a positive note this morning!