Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused about hunger cues

Default Confused about hunger cues

My DD is 3 weeks old, and since she's not awake a lot...I think I mistake her awake-ness for hunger most of the time.

It just seems to me that if she's awake she must be hungry. A lot of the time when she's awake she will be moving her mouth like she's looking for something to suck on, but sometimes this is right after a "full meal." But sometimes even when she does this she doesn't respond by turning her head if I stroke her cheek.

Are there any more definitive signs that will let me know if she's hungry? Is it normal for a newborn to just look hungry and not really be hungry? Of course I worry she's not getting enough: any way to ease my fears?

Default Re: Confused about hunger cues

I remember feeling exactly how you do with my first. All I did was nurse her because I didn't know what else to do. However, there are more cues that are signs of hunger, bringing hand to mouth, rooting, whimpering and the last cue is crying. Babies naturally have a sucking reflex. She may act like she is hungry, but might not be. Best thing to do is feed her, you are building your supply and giving her lots of practice Once she starts growing, she will get more predictable and the feeding cues are easier to see.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Thanks! It's very reassuring to hear someone else has felt the same way and that she should get more predictable! I guess it never hurts to build the supply!

You could try offering a pacifier too if she just wants to suck (too much comfort sucking on you can get painful). I wasn't sure about pacis at first, but the sucking really comforts & relaxes my DD. It won't work if she's hungry though