Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sign language for breastfeeding

Default Sign language for breastfeeding

Hello, My fourteen month old enjoys nursing and isn't afraid to tell me!!! She pulls on my shirt or drags around my boppy pillow when she wants to nurse. She has started connecting sign language for some other concepts like "more, please, and eat." I've heard of other people using a sign or a code word for nursing. I would rather not use the sign for milk. Does anyone have an idea for a code sign for nursing? Thanks.

Default Re: Sign language for breastfeeding

I think using a sign for nursing is awesome. My LO uses the sign for milk, but she also says her word for nursing, and does things like you describe too...so even if you teach her the sign, I dont' think it necessarily will stop the other behaviors. Here's a page that might help you get some ideas (below). I honestly couldn't think of a better code than the milk sign, since its very simple and can be discreet. I'm just curious, is there a reason you're avoiding it?
    The sign for breast also doesnt look too hard.
    http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

We used the milk sign. Are you already teaching 'drink', as in drink from a cup? If not that's a pretty easy one that would be a similar concept.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

We use milk also, although my son has altered it to be rubbing his thumb and forefinger together. My nephew used yes, which came from asking do you want to nurse. Honestly, you can make up whatever you want.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

A friend of mine used the sign for snuggle or cuddle. I thought that was sweet.

is there a reason you're bothered by the sign for milk? I always thought i was way better than ripping down the shirt and pulling out the milk!! I found with my son before he was talking, i could use any gesture to mean a word - and even now, he doesn't sign i love you, but makes a fist and kisses it when he's saying i love you. You can be creative as long as you're not focused on teaching ASL.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

My daughter uses the sign for milk for soymilk. She uses a variation of "more" for nursing accompanied by the words "NU NU." I started calling nursing NUNU early on, and I'm glad I did. If we are out or in a place where I really don't feel like engaging with people on why I continue to nurse a toddler - I just say, "Oh. You want your diaper changed?" Then I take her to "change her diaper" but I actually nurse her instead. I guess it would be "better" if I just didn't give a crap what people thought, but sometimes I really don't want to deal with the crap. Because it won't stop me from nursing her. It will just made me angry.

My daughter just started using the sign of more for nursing with the words herself. I had tried to teach her milk. For her, the sign for more is her all-purpose verb. It means nurse, go, do that, more, etc .

I know others use the word Nummies for nursing.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

My son knows the sign for milk, but he related that to milk in a cup. He also uses the more sign for nursing, tho he tries to say Milk. MMM-il vs MMM-o for more food.

You can teach what you want, but in the end they sort of make their own signs
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

My daughter uses the sign for milk and what I love is that a lot of people think she's waving hello or goodbye to them...rather than even thinking it through beyond the possibility that it might mean something else! Good luck with whatever sign works best for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bubs.mum View Post
    My daughter uses the sign for milk and what I love is that a lot of people think she's waving hello or goodbye to them...rather than even thinking it through beyond the possibility that it might mean something else! Good luck with whatever sign works best for you!!
    this happened to us all the time. it was funnier to me too since she usually signed for milk when she saw large-chested women cashiers/waitresses etc when we were out, as if to say "hey, that's milk in there!"
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog