Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excess lipase. Scalding not working.

Default Excess lipase. Scalding not working.

Hi there! I've discovered my milk is high in lipase as I am exclusively nursing but my son will have to take a bottle bc we are wedding photographers and work for 10+ hours when we shoot a wedding, which is 3-4 times a month plus engagement sessions & meeting we will have. I've scalded once & attempted a bottle & he took an oz then refused & we tasted the milk & it was still affected. We aren't sure if we heated it enough so we are getting a thermometer today to make sure we do it right & try again. He takes fresh expressed milk by bottle perfectly so that is how we discovered the issue. Now, has anyone ever had the scalding not work for their milk/baby? If so, what did you do? Is our only other option giving him formula on the days we work (shoot a wedding)? Are there any nutritional things I can do for my milk?

Default Re: Excess lipase. Scalding not working.

Make sure you are scalding it correctly first before freaking out There are several ways you can do it, and do it the way that is easier for you.

I found a Taylor digital thermometer worked best for me. I set the temperature, it alarmed when it reached that temp, so I could start a timer and heat it long enough.

Some babies don't care for the scalded taste that can happen if it's not scalded correctly. Even correctly, it can alter the flavor. And some babies react to that.

Find out first how long your milk will last. Sme moms can get 24 hours before it becomes unpalatable, some 48. If that is the case for you, then don't scald. Pump and leave fresh. Babies need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation.

Could you possibly have a friend or relative come with you to shoots to act as a babysitter and page you when baby needs to nurse?

If you are taking vitamins or anything like that, try dropping it. I was taking vitamins with fatty acids, and it made my milk turn really fast. Since dropping that entirely, I haven't had as much trouble.

It is not known why some moms have trouble with lipase. Some have excess, others, it seems to be activated by pumping or standing. It is supposed to be there; the pumping and bottles is why it is a problem.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan, thank for the reply. We are going to make sure we are doing it correctly for sure.
    We can't bring him to weddings, as it's seem as "unprofessional" & how a wedding day functions, it's impossible to ensure that I can leave to nurse.
    My milk is "soapy" after less than 24 hrs in the fridge w/out scalding. I do know that much. It will be impossible for me to pump enough the day of a wedding we will be shooting for him the rest of the day.
    I was taking a prenatal but have been forgetting it lately.
    We are also still trying to introduce a bottle in general & he's not to keen on one anyway but he will take it w/a bit of a fight w/freshly expressed milk usually. So we are dealing w/several different issues anyway.
    Thank you!

How old is baby?

Make sure you are doing it right (did you see the lipase thread sticky?) and also make sure your bottles are well rinsed. Like I noticed I run mine in the dishwasher, we have a lot more trouble with the milk tasting really off. Some moms find glass bottles are less likely to make the milk turn, so maybe try that.

I have a friend who is a professional photographer, and her kids go with her, along with a nanny, to all her shoots, so that is why I made the suggestion I did
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks Susan. Ya, I'm making my way through that thread. On page 11. Haha
    He is 8 weeks old. We introduced bottle at 3 weeks with fridge milk I pumped that am & he took it that evening fine. We did that a few times a week & this past week he's rejecting any freezer milk I had stored & any fridge milk that is 24hrs old. Today, I pumped fresh & he took 2oz fine. He was fussing through it bc of bottle frustration & it was about 45mins by the time he calmed & took 2oz and started to refuse it and hubby tasted it & it was starting to turn. He has tasted my fresh (sweet he described it as) & he's tasted it as it turns & describes that as much much less sweet. Kinda like comparing vanilla soy milk to regular soy milk.
    I got a digital thermometer to start the process of scalding in our bottle warmer tomorrow. Now to dig in that thread to find the right measurements for milk to water for the right warming ratio.

There is no right ratio, it depends in your warmer.

What I did was fill bottles of water to where I would if it was milk. I made sure it was the temperature I would be scalding the milk at (like cold water to mimic cold milk). I started with the recommended amount of water and saw how warm the bottle got. Added more and more water to the warmer, repeating the experiment over and over until I got it right. For my warmer, it was one full tube of water plus a dab. Does that make sense?

Sounds like you should collect and scald ASAP. Even on your shoots. Maybe a car warmer will be in order.
    Susan

I will be pumping at home, scalding, cooling, then freezing so I'd be working with warm milk first so should I experiment with warm water? And when I'm shooting a wedding, I'll be just dumping. I pump 6oz in about 8 mins so my supply is good so I'm ok with dumping when we are working a wedding.
    Could my freshly expressed milk be changing that fast when sitting out for 1hr? Or is my buddy having bottle issues instead? Hubby did say the taste was definitely different after 1+hr.

Well I thawed my frozen milk from earlier this month to get a taste of it myself since hubby has been tasting it & it was so metallic my fillings ached!! Gag worthy! Ewww...so starting the scalding today. Tested the water/milk ratio last night. How long should I let this bag freeze before offering it? Is overnight fine to just test that he'll take it? That's my biggest concern.

You could try scalding then putting it in the fridge.

The freezing only slows the enzyme down if you didn't kill it. Trying it in the fridge is a faster way to see if it works.

I wouldn't dump any milk. I would seriously get a bottle warmer and deal with it there. Because your supply won't always be robust. There will be a day when you can't pump that much that fast and you might be grateful for the overage.
    Susan

Thanks. I ended up freezing it but thanks for that tidbit about refrigerating it to test. Well be testing it this afternoon. Praying it worked. We did the scalding in our bottle warmer at 163 for 15 seconds, cooled in an ice bath, then froze. I'll post an update later.