Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaking breastmilk???

Default Shaking breastmilk???

I pump a few times a day at work. While storing my milk in the medela storage bottles, I notice that the milk has seperated. As a result, I shake it before I pour it into my LOs daycare bottles. However, I heard that it is not good to shake breastmilk. However, if I don't shake it then the hindmilk will stay in the storage bottles.

My question is, is it okay to shake the milk?
    The love of my life, Rogelio Federico aka Tre, was born on 22 July 2011.
    Active Duty Army Mom thats hates , but loves : and

Default Re: Shaking breastmilk???

I have heard it isn't okay to shake it- can't remember why though. To remove the fat/hindmilk from the edges, I just run a little warm water over it until it loosens from the edge and swirl it together. Works like a charm!

Shaking will break it, meaning it will look curdled. It is best to gently swirl it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Yep, go with the swirling.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

i've ben told there are long chain fatty acids that get broken when it is shaken, so to keep those good fats together you dont shake hth

Thanks. I will swirl now
    The love of my life, Rogelio Federico aka Tre, was born on 22 July 2011.
    Active Duty Army Mom thats hates , but loves : and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    i've ben told there are long chain fatty acids that get broken when it is shaken, so to keep those good fats together you dont shake hth
    Yep, I read that in LLL's book: swirl, swirl
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Also, if swirling doesn't get it all mixed together, someone on here gave me the wonderful idea of first running the bottle under warm water. It gets everything "unstuck" and makes it really easy to swirl.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

The most current research indicates that you can't really break the LCFA by shaking, but IME, it isn't that effective at mixing milk anyway. I run warm water over the bottle to melt the cream layer then swirl it to pull the fats off the wall of the bottle. Shaking just doenst get all those fats! But a gentle shake won't destroy your milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    The most current research indicates that you can't really break the LCFA by shaking, but IME, it isn't that effective at mixing milk anyway. I run warm water over the bottle to melt the cream layer then swirl it to pull the fats off the wall of the bottle. Shaking just doenst get all those fats! But a gentle shake won't destroy your milk.
    No, but if you shake like you would formula it will separate and look curdled. My mother did this when MK was first born and I was EPing. It looked like watery cottage cheese. You can still drink it but it just looks wrong.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn