Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gave up... but trying again! Please help

Unhappy Gave up... but trying again! Please help

I gave up on breastfeeding at 3 weeks due to lack of sleep, frustration, and depression due to low milk supply. My son is now 10 weeks old and I have been feeling guilty for giving my baby formula so I have been trying to re-lactate, with help from the amdea purely yours double breast pump and domperidone RX from my doctor. Can any one give me some tips to help make this process go smoothly and successful? Been pumping and taking this RX for 3 days, went from empty breasts to being able to pump 5ML each time... but feeling upset because I'm seeing minimal results so far.

Default Re: Gave up... but trying again! Please

keep it up, im relactating too. It takes some time. but its rewarding when you get milk again. have you tried fenugreek seeds?

You are off to a great start mama! 5ml each time is 5ml more breastmilk for your baby Every drop counts. Especially with cold and flu season, as your breastmilk is filled with antibodies that will help your little guy.

One of my good friends re-lactated after 7-8 weeks of not breastfeeding and she went on to successfully breastfeed for over a year. It can be done!!

A few questions...
    - Will your son latch at all? Direct nursing (even just for comfort at first) will stimulate more production than a pump. You will still have to pump, but extra nursing will definitely help. Perhaps meeting with a LC to ensure a good latch. There are also video's on this site that may be helpful.
    - how often are you pumping? When trying to build up your supply, the more you pump the better. Pumping every 2-3 hours is recommended.

It's a lot of work, but it will be very rewarding. Pumping while nursing and bottle feeding is very time consuming. Do you have support at home? If your son will latch you may want to nurse around the clock if you can. A more intense nursing routine will encourage more milk faster. And getting your son back to the breast will be easier on you because it will cut out the extra step of preparing bottles.

Some tips:
    - Drink lots of water
    - oatmeal for breakfast may help to increase supply
    - lactation cookies (there are recipes online and some women find that they help with supply)
    - fenugreek increases supply (you can find this at your local health food store)
    - RELAX. Stress can negatively affect supply. Enjoy the time with your baby

I'm not familiar with the pump you're using, but I do know that a hospital grade pump will provide the best results. Hopefully a pumping mama will join in and give you some tips about pumping

Some women are able to re-lactate and not have to use formula, while others have to rely on formula to supplement. Some breastmilk is better than no breastmilk. Don't get discouraged Every drop counts!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Great advice from sch.mommy, as always. I am familiar with the Ameda Purely-Yours and it is not the pump you need. It's a lightweight pump for a mom with an established supply who responds well to pumping and needs to pump maybe a couple of times a day. It is not a good pump for a mom who wants to relactate or increase supply. I strongly, strongly suggest seeing a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, and getting yourself a hospital-grade rental pump. If the rental is not an option, I suggest investing in a much better pump- the Medela Pump in Style would be my choice if I couldn't get my hands on the hospital rental. The LC can also help you get your baby to the breast if he is not currently nursing. If he's not nursing, this link has tips which may help you get him to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You need a hospital grade pump for this. You will wear out very quickly the professional grade pumps.

I have a Lansinoh, which is the same as what you have, and a PISA, a Freestyle and none of them are as good as the Symphony, which is one hospital grade pump. They aren't as good at removing milk, and they are not as smooth, so soreness can be a problem.

That said, I prefer the Lansinoh -- I get more milk with it than with a PISA or Freestyle. But not as much as with a Symphony. And I would HATE to use it full-time (I EP for a baby who cannot latch due to a cleft palate).

Keep pumping...but if you can, get baby to the breast. A baby is much, much better at stimulating your supply than any pump. Not to mention, nursing is a whole lot less work than pumping then feeding baby is!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

To PP, but I would also recommend doing lots of skin to skin with baby. Not even just to breastfeed, but that skin to skin tells your body to keep making milk as well. You can even breastfeed on one side and pump on the other side. The absolute best thing to do is BE PATIENT. It will take time to relactate, but you can do it! You are jump starting your body again it takes some time to get your milk production going again. You are heading in the right direction though! Awesome job and keep up the good work!
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011