Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Post-weaning issues?

Default Post-weaning issues?

My DS and I nursed for the last time about 1 1/2 weeks ago. The transition went very smoothly for him since I waited until he was ready. We made it almost 17 months!

Anyway, I didn't experience much engorgement since we weaned slowly. We've been down to one feeding for about the last month or so. I had maybe 3 days of feeling engorged, and self-expressing was enough to relieve the pain. A couple days ago, my breasts started feeling generally sore (especially my left one--my over-producer). The soreness has since gone away, but now I feel a marble-sized lump on my left breast. Is this something I should be concerned with? I've been massaging it out, thinking it's a plugged duct, but I'm not completely sure.

Any ideas would be great since I'm a first-time mom and I don't have any long-time nursing resources close to me, so I don't know what's normal.

Thanks!

Default Re: Post-weaning issues?

I think it's probably just a duct that is still thinking that producing some milk is a good idea- i.e. it's a little tiny bit of leftover, localized engorgement. But it's certainly something to keep an eye on. If you get to a place where you're no longer producing any milk- that is, you cannot express anything, not even a drop, even if you really try- and that lump is still there, it might be time to see the doc. Especially if you see other symptoms that don't seem quite right, like discharge of blood or pus or extreme pain.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Post-weaning issues?

My DD weaned rather abruptly and I had MAJOR lumpiness going on for about 3 weeks. It seemed to be the next stage after the regular engorgement was over. So my guess is that it'll go away in a week or two, but if it doesn't seem to get any better or if it becomes really uncomfortable, certainly get it checked out.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--