Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: normal amount to pump?

Default normal amount to pump?

I am going back to work t the end of November and just started pumping yesterday to start to build a freezer stash. I pumped when I first got home from the hospital because my lo wasn't latching on but this is the first time I've pumped after nursing him so I'm wondering if I'm getting a normal amount. I've gotten 1.5 oz the last two mornings after nursing. Does that sound normal. I'm a bit worried now about him having enough when I'm gone...

Default Re: normal amount to pump?

most women make about 1-1.5oz per hour total. Also, you don't really need a large freezer stash. Just get enough for a day's worth or so saved up, and then you'll be pumping the day before for what you need the next day. Check out this link
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

That sounds perfectly normal for nursing between feeds. Remember that when you are working you will be pumping in place of a feed, rather than between it.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thanks ladies! That's what I thought but I just wanted to double check since everything is still new to me.