Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i will need to pump, how to start?

Default i will need to pump, how to start?

Hello,

My LO is 5 weeks old.
    he is breatfeeding only.

he used to take one breast at each feed, but one day he was feeding every hour the whole afternoon, i tried to offer him both, he took it and now he feeds like that every 3 hours.

I have no worries with supply. His dr said today he is even getting to much, he showed me a graphic, when he was born he was comparable to the line bellow average (the little ones) and now he has passed to the line above the average (the big ones). But he is gassy, maybe nursing more for comfort. Nothing to worry he says

but...

he is going to have surgery and i guess he will skip some feedings. Shall i pump at the times he usually eats? and for how long?
    this milk will probably be wasted, we will be away from home for two weeks, i guess i will keep in the fridge there just in case, but i wont be able to bring it back home.

than when we come back home, i want to build a very small supply for emergency situations (enough for 2 bottles) and he will also need one bottle once a week for sure. i want to keep the equivalent of 3 bottles in my freezer. how to proceed? when to pump and for how long?

thanks in advance for the help.

Default Re: i will need to pump, how to start?

I am sorry your LO needs surgery. The hospital where he is having the operation might be able to get you a hospital grade double pump to use. The doctors might even want to feed him your pumped milk rather that formula. Talk to the doctors ASAP. You will definitely need to pump every 2-3 hours while he is in the hospital. Your milk can be stored in a hand held cooler it does not have to go to waste!
    there is information on pumping and storing under the resource tab at the top of this website. Good luck and best of health to your LO.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

good idea about the hospital grade pump

have you ever pumped before? its kind of odd at first. many of us need time to get used to pumping so do't be surprised if you dont get much at first, but the hospital grade ones are much better so definitely see if you can pump at the hospital.

how long will he be in surgery/recovery?

definitely save the milk you pump. if he can nurse when he come out just nurse and freeze the milk for another time. just get some bm storage bags or bottles, they will probably have some at the hospital but check, and cool the milk in a fridge before you freeze. then you can save it for the future if ever you needed some

good luck

If you are having the surgery done at a children's hospital, they will have a pump there you can use. Our Children's hospital, the one we go to for our baby's surgeries, has lactation rooms. All I need to bring are my own horns and bottles. So...you need to contact your team or surgeon or clinic at the hospital and ask.

That said, I ALWAYS take my own pump. So I don't have to wait, and so I don't have to leave my baby. And I pump when baby would normally eat or when I normally pump. And unless your baby can nurse post-op, you need to think about pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock, shooting for 120 total minutes of pumping time every 25 hours. While in surgery, I pump wherever I can. The nurses are helpful about finding me a place.

You should be able to store the milk, but unless they have a super good reason to not use your milk, just feed it to your baby. I would suggest taking a cooler with you; our hospital will store it, but only in one special fridge and it is frozen. I didn't want to hassle with having to page a nurse, wait for her to show up, wait for her to go back and get the milk then thaw it out if my baby was hungry. So I keep the bottles I pump with us in our room and feed on demand, and I pump as often as I can, as stress can decrease your supply.

What is your LO having surgery for? Many of us have BTDT and can help you with the pre-op fasting, etc.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. i'm having a hard day, baby is very fussy, hard to get something done.

I called the hospital, talked to the nurses and baby would be able to breastfeed as soon as he wakes up from the anesthesia. that is very good news.
    He will probably skip one or two feeds for his CT scan, i will probably have to pump then and his surgery should take 3 hours, so probably one or two more to pump. Do i have to pump, or should i pump only if i'm feeling uncomfortable?
    they do have pumps and rooms available, but i guess i could take my little manual one, there will be no need to pump a lot.

He is having surgery to remove a CCAM from his left lung. It knew since the 24th week. It was scary in the begining, but things went well during the pregnancy, he was not in distress in any moment and the ccam became much smaller. We are lucky. Baby was born without simptoms and that make it really hard to have to take him there now, he is so small to have a surgery, i don't like to think about it too much.

thanks again for the coments!
    Last edited by @llli*sunnyson; October 6th, 2011 at 02:11 PM.

I don't have much experience but I work in a pediatric intensive care unit so I can offer advice from the hospital end. First, request a hospital grade pump and a kit. No reason to mess around with your own pump. The hospital will also provide bottles. I would pump every 3 hours while he is away from you and save your milk. You don't need to risk your supply dropping. Also, I would be prepared to nurse in different position based on his comfort/pain level. A CT scan is short and sweet and could be easily done in between two nursing sessions unless he needs anesthesia. If it's the short kind, just ask your nurse the time and try to plan feeding him before he goes (though they often run behind).

Is there a reason you can't transport your unused milk home for your own freezer stash? Try to figure out a way to get it home where it can be saved for later.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*morgan11 View Post
    I don't have much experience but I work in a pediatric intensive care unit so I can offer advice from the hospital end. First, request a hospital grade pump and a kit. No reason to mess around with your own pump. The hospital will also provide bottles. I would pump every 3 hours while he is away from you and save your milk. You don't need to risk your supply dropping. Also, I would be prepared to nurse in different position based on his comfort/pain level. A CT scan is short and sweet and could be easily done in between two nursing sessions unless he needs anesthesia. If it's the short kind, just ask your nurse the time and try to plan feeding him before he goes (though they often run behind).

Is there a reason you can't transport your unused milk home for your own freezer stash? Try to figure out a way to get it home where it can be saved for later.
    they asked me to arrive at noon for the CT and to stop feeding him at 09:30, in case they need to sedate him. I will do my best to try to feed him at 9:00 (hoping he will eat well for 20m), but i think by 12:30 he will be hungry and fussy.

The trip back home will be driving 2h to the airport and probably 5h to bring back the rental car, checkin and flight, plus a good hour to get out of the plane and clear customs here, so i would need to keep the milk frozen for -+8h, maybe we will move close to the airport the day before the trip, but i will still need to keep the milk frozen for -+6h (hoping we will have no delays). i don't know how i would manage to keep the milk frozen for so long. a cooler won't keep it for so long i guess, or it would?

I don't have much experience trying to transport milk that long of a distance. I would think it would be easier to transport refrigerated milk but that is only good for 5 days (or longer or shorter depending on what you read). Depending on how long your total trip is, maybe try to just keep it refrigerated. But it sounds like it might be a huge hassle so decide what is best for you.

The problem with the CT scan is you are going to have a hungry baby who might not stay still which will lead to sedation. But if he is happy and well fed, he might stay still. I understand why they don't want him to have anything in his stomach but it's almost like they are causing the problem they are trying to avoid. I would maybe talk to your doctor about feeding him up until 1030 with the hopes he will be happy for the scan. They will probably say no. But if he needs sedation, they only have to wait an hour. Also, maybe send daddy in the scanner with him to soothe him to try to avoid sedation.

feeding him after 09:30 is a no go for them. i think they will have to sedate him, but i hope for the best (we can try some white noise in my ipad + daddy )

i'm dealing with another little problem, i suspect i have trush.
    My breasts hurt, this started maybe a week ago, i was hoping it would go away but yesterday i decided to check what it could be. My nipples are very sensitive, they hurt when baby latches but is ok to nurse him, often at night i cannot wear a bra or anything, and the sides of my breast are on fire.
    Baby seems fine, no visible sign, just very gassy, his dr said 2 days ago that he could be sensitive to sth in my diet. now i think it could also be trush...
    tomorrow i see my dr. i will create another thread on the newborn forum if i have trouble with this.

no milk freezing until i'm sure it is not trush or it has been eliminated.

everything just seems to have an awful timing lately.

Ack. Your breast milk does NOT need to be frozen to transport. Breast milk is good for 10-12 hours at room temperature. And it is good for up to 8 days in the fridge if you do not have lipase.

I do recommend your own pump. I HATE leaving my baby to go to the lactation room at the hospital. I take a small pump and can then pump anywhere. I pumped while sitting waiting for my baby in surgery and then while he was in the recovery room. Many babies are ready to nurse right away post op. If baby is kept sedated or is on heavy pain meds, it can be a couple days before they are ready to eat at all, and if that is the case, you pump every 2-4 hours, or about how baby would be nursing.

Our Children's Hospital allows breast milk up to 2 hours prior to anesthesia. It is considered a clear fluid.

If you do freeze it, if it stays halfway frozen, it is OK to stick in the freezer. If you choose to not transport it, look into milk donation via Human Milk 4 Human Babies.

Our hospital does not provide bottles or other pumping supplies. You should ask before you arrive just in case if you opt to use the hospital's provided pumps.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!