Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hungry?

Default Hungry?

Hi - baby is 5 months and 1 week. For the last 2 or 3 months, he's only taken one side at each feeding - for about 5 minutes or less.

Suddenly, he's taking BOTH sides. Is he just extra hungry? Am I not producing enough for him? I know growth spurts happen at 6 months or so - he tends to do his early. Is this possibly a growth spurt? Or do babies just change like this?

He is getting 4 teeth at the same time on top - the bottom 2 (middle) are in. He doesn't seem to be waking MORE at night because of it (yet). I know teething can make them nurse more.

Help? Thoughts?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Hungry?

5 months is about the time my milk supply finally started to settle down. Before that, if I gave him both breasts he would spit a large amount back up because I was producing enough for a football team. Maybe your supply is doing the same, settling into a more supply/demand situation.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

with PP. It probably just means that your supply is fitting with what your LO needs. The best indicator of whether your LO is getting enough is looking at how many wet and poopy diapers you have.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Could be a growth spurt, could be teething, could be an adjustment in supply. Many moms who start out nursing on just one breast per feeding ultimately transition to using both breasts. I had a tremendous oversupply in the beginning with DD2, and needed to use one breast per feeding for several feedings in a row. Eventually my supply adjusted to meet my baby's demand, and since around 4-5 months, she has taken both breasts at a feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with the PP, but also it could just be that breastfeeding is a comfort to your LO. My son would nurse all the time when he was teething and sometimes would not eat any solids. Even when he was 8 mos he would go days without regular food and just nurse. I have learned that sometimes mom puts out hormones to her baby that also make the baby feel better. Maybe you LO just needs comforted. Hang in there.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Thank you, everyone! I'm fine with him going for more - I was just perplexed. After he ate from one side, he was still fussy and wanted more. It took me a couple of times to figure out he wanted FOOD!

I love the idea of him wanting mommy. I know this time will go quickly!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    5 months is about the time my milk supply finally started to settle down. Before that, if I gave him both breasts he would spit a large amount back up because I was producing enough for a football team. Maybe your supply is doing the same, settling into a more supply/demand situation.
    me too!!!
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby