Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: period while nursing?

Default period while nursing?

Hi,
    I just started what appears to be my period today..I don't remember getting one at all while nursing with my ds. I actually had posted on the 'increase your milk supply' about a dip in production..could this be related?

At first I thought it might still be lochia (post partum 5 weeks) but I haven't had any bleeding in 2.5 weeks and this is feeling like a period with cramps, bloat and crankiness.

Thanks!

Tiffany

Default Re: period while nursing?

I don't think it's uncommon to have period-like bleeding 6-8 weeks after birth, even if you had a time of no bleeding. It's hard to say this early if your period has returned.

It is possible to get your period back if you are having problems with supply. Also, I found out the hard way that every baby is different. I was so disappointed when my cycle resumed about 3 months pp with my second after going 12 months without a period with my first. I expected a repeat of the first, but it wasn't to be!
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Tanya,
    thanks! yes, i was hoping not to have to deal it with it for awhile LOL. I feel like I just got over being cranky while pg and now this, too! ha

It may also be genetic. Many of the women in my family got their periods back early and while ebf'ing. I got mine at 2.5mo pp and didn't have any supply issues that I know of. Though your experience with your first DB seems that's not the case for you.

I had stopped with lochia two weeks pp. Around the fourth maybe fifith week pp I started bleeding. I didn't think it was my period only last a few days. I however had a high fever, chills and most flu like symptoms though. So I went to the doctors the day after boxing day actually and asked him about it. He told me it could be my period, could be mastitis or could be some placenta left in my uterus. So I suggest that you go to the doctors if you can and to be on the safe side get it checked out. To my luck it was mastitis. I hope that might help you.

It has also been refered to as hormonal bleeding... Any bleeding before 56 days post partum is not considered a period.

Quote Originally Posted by sheena137
    I had stopped with lochia two weeks pp. Around the fourth maybe fifith week pp I started bleeding. I didn't think it was my period only last a few days. I however had a high fever, chills and most flu like symptoms though. So I went to the doctors the day after boxing day actually and asked him about it. He told me it could be my period, could be mastitis or could be some placenta left in my uterus. So I suggest that you go to the doctors if you can and to be on the safe side get it checked out. To my luck it was mastitis. I hope that might help you.
    yikes! so mastitis can also make you have something similar to a period?? i don't have a fever or chills at all so i assume it's not a placental or mastitis issue..i think i may put a call in to the doc anyway just in case, though. thanks!

tiffany

I've never heard of bleeding as a symptom of mastitis. Fever and chills and flu-like symptoms along with breast pain are sure signs of mastitis. It was probably a coincidence that the bleeding occurred at the same time. Bleeding again shortly after lochia stops is common. It would be a good idea to make a call to the doctor just to rule out the retained placenta possibility.

i'm waiting for the nurse to call me back..it's actually just slight spotting..nothing heavy. Also, I had a c section..I am sure it is possible some placenta was left behind, but would that be very likely with a csection??

Tiffany

Probably not likely. The risk of hemmorage goes up with c/s so I think they try to be very thorough with that while you are opened up. Plus they can 'see' inside your uterus. Likely your OB remembers how it looked and can let you know. You could also ask for a copy of the operative report and it might have the information there.