Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused

Default Confused

Is it possible to solve your oversupply problem and still have OALD.? I have been block feeding for about seven weeks and I think I have solved the too much milk problem. I worry about reducing my supply honestly. I still have a problem with OALD. The milk comes out with alarming force. It is difficult for me to figure a way to block feed correctly as my DS really only nurses for a few ( 2-3) minutes at a time. I am sure this only exacerbates the problem. Just as the milk is really letting down he stops nursing. I have posted elsewhere that he has just started Zantac for what we think is reflux. That would explain the non stop crying and the frequent short nursing. Sorry for the ramble I am hoping that someone will have some advice. I don't want to torture my DS every time he eats. I also want to make sure he is getting the right balance of milk. Thanks

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Default Re: Confused

Yes, it is possible.

Have you tried some of the basic ideas for OALD?

*keep baby's head at least higher than bottom when feeding
    *upright to prone positions (latch first, then lie back to feed, baby is lying across your belly/chest
    *baby in face down positon allows gravity to help with flow
    *compress the breast a little to slow the flow of milk
    *remove a little milk before feeding

Let me know if this helps.

Kate,

Thank you. I will try all your suggestions.

Does he spit up as well? I forgot to ask you that!

Kate,
    Sorry I took so long to respond. In answer to your question he doesn't spit up at all. He seems to be responding very well to the Zantac. For the first time he is happy and has really stopped screaming. Now our problem is that he really does not want to nurse. I don't know if it is in response to the Zantac ( the syringe in his mouth is not pleasant and the Zantac is vile) or if he has reached the mark where he is frustrated by the quick let down. I struggled yesterday to have him eat enough to fill the quota for wet diapers. He is like one of the textbook cases. He was born at 4lbs 15 oz. When he was released from the hospital he was 4lbs 7 oz. When he was weighed last week at 3 1/2 mo's he was 12lbs 13.5 oz. All that weight so quiclky seems great except he was so unhappy. Now he is happier but I am terrified he isn't getting enough to eat. I am trying to implement your suggestion to ease the problem with let down. It really is heartbreaking when he cries when I try to nurse. I don't want him to become afraid of nursing. I pumped for two years with my daughter becuase of her prematurity and although it was worth every minute I want nursing to work with my son. I am afraid to try to "top him up" with EBM since he is not a good nursling. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would love some good advice. Sorry for such a long post.

Hey Ladies.

Is anyone out there with some advice? I really could use some help. Thanks

Well, you are so committed for having pumped for two years for your DD! Impressive!

You are right, his huge weight gain is indicative of oversupply, and probably has something to do with his unhappiness. Some babies do just fine with oversupply, others don't. You seem to be doing such a great job managing this. Just hang in there a little bit...it will get better.

Does he or would he take a pacifier? A wise IBCLC and LLLL has done much research on this and has stated that these are the babies who actually do need to use a pacifier, because they don't get a chance to comfort suck. Everytime they suck at the breast they get milk, milk, milk. And that's not always what they want. Sometimes they just want to suck for comfort. It is not very comforting for him if he is inundated with milk all of the time.

Do you think he needs to be "topped off" because he is not wetting enough? What have his wet diapers changed from? What about poopy?

Thanks for your post. I was feeling a little overwhelmed trying to get my DS to eat. I was worried about giving him a pacifier becuase he is so difficult to ge to nurse. Ishould have mentioned that his growth rate has slowed considerably. In between his last two appointments with the pediatrician he was gaining 5oz a week. That was when I was able to get him to nurse. I know that this is an average growth so I was reassured. Now though he is so difficult to nurse I worry if he is gaining at all. He has only had 3 wet diapers today. He had 5 poopy diapers.

Have you noticed a big decrease in the amount of wet/dirty diapers from his usual amount?

Do you use cloth or disposables?

According to the BAB: As babies get older than six weeks of age, the number of wet cloth diapers may drop to 5 or 6 per day, but their wetness will increase. This is because baby's bladder grows in size and is able to hold more urine. After 6 weeks of age less frequent bowel movemnents may normal, as long as he is gaining normally.

Another suggestion: have you tried pumping before he nurses? (to ease his discomfort). You can also catch your initial let-down (the most forceful time) in a cloth, and then put him on (or back on, if he was already on.)

I use disposable diapers and have tested to see what a full diaper feels like. According to KellyMom.com 90ml is a full one. I put a call in to my ped to go in for a weight check. I am also going to get a prescription to have the Zantac compounded. Thanks for all your advice. I have been very worried.