Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: no more bottles?

Default no more bottles?

hey!

i wrote to dr. jack newman and he emailed me back. he mentioned how at 8 months a baby doesn't need to take bottles and shouldn't anymore.

i just wanted some feedback from you llladies

my son is at DC, takes 3 bottles (2 or 3 oz per bottle) and eats solids. he nurses with me at lunch sometimes. he drinks very little while at DC.

i have no problem transitioning to a cup, he has struggled with it though. also, i wonder if he needs the bottle to have something to suck on since he isnt nursing at those times.

what do you think?

Default Re: no more bottles?

I think this is your choice. A lot of folks do wean their babies to a sippy cup around this age. I have to say, there might be something to this approach - Joe still likes his bottles at 2.5, maybe if I had nipped it in the bud sooner? (Of course, I also think there are worse things than a toddler who likes a bottle now and then for comfort. In his case it would have been a major struggle to take it away earlier. I kind of doubt he'll have it in college, might as well let him grow out of it. )

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I switched DD to cups when I switched to cow's milk during the day at 1 year. DS1 switched to cups for BM and formula (boo--had problems with supply) at about 9 months because he started drinking out of the sippy cups of water DD left around the house. DD was a thumb sucker and DS1 was a pacifier junkie so neither needed the bottle for sucking needs. We haven't yet tried DS2 (8.5 months) with a cup yet. Maybe I'll give him his Dr. Pepper in a cup rather than in the bottle the way he usually gets it.

Seriously though, I am not in a big rush to switch him to a cup though I probably will by the time he is a year. My nephew was nearly two before they got him completely off of the bottle. He is our last so I am definitely not rushing anything with him.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

For us, bottle weaning just happened when we started adding in other liquids, as I don't put juice or cow's milk in a bottle, and yes, it was before a year. I am hoping that this surgery is the end of bottles for Gavin, but...it acts like a pacifier for him sometimes too With my older kids, I didn't worry about it. Yes, they might have needed to suck on something, but I wasn't there...so we nursed lots as toddlers when I was there.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

thanks so much. i am going to just encourage a cup and if he does well fine but i am going to still use bottles if he needs them for comfort etc. i'll just go with what he wants