Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any new evidence??

Default Any new evidence??

Last week we went for my LOs 4 month check up. Dr said to start solids. I questioned her and explained that everything I had read and the AAP encourage breastmilk only for first 6 months. Her response was that there is new evidence to suggest that the sterile gut philosophy is maybe not the best and that babies need more than what breast milk has to offer. She hopes to have us eating eggs by 6-7 months.
    My LO shows no signs of readiness, as he was 5 weeks premature. And I have not been able to find anything that says it's good to start solid at 4 months. Have any of you heard about any new studies released that she may be referring to?
    I plan on following my instincts and holding off another couple of months but just wondering if there is any truth to what she's saying. Tks!!

Default Re: Any new evidence??

There is this study about intro of solid foods earlier preventing allergies:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or.../125/1/50.full

I have also heard about earlier intro and prevention of type one diabetes.

BUT, those are just two studies, and I think the majority of the evidence points to later introduction, which is why both the AAP and the WHO recommend 6 months. This is an interesting report:

http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/...review_eng.pdf

I think that your doctor probably has been giving that advice and is justifying what she has always been doing by "latching on" to a couple studies but not looking at all the evidence as a whole.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I guess I think of it this way when it comes to breastfeeding and introducing solids- breastmilk is the most perfect food for babies. By adding solids earlier, the baby takes in less breastmilk and less antibodies. Also, by waiting till 6 months (and he does have a cow's milk allergy that *I* had to remove the dairy from my diet for when he was a newborn- that would have been there no matter what) I ensure that my milk supply is very well established. And by introducing slowly that keeps my supply up as well. Personally, it stands to reason that babies who are given lots of solids early on will wean earlier. And my hope is to nurse into toddlerhood. So introducing early wasnot in any way right for us.

But even if what she says is right, your baby was 5 weeks early. You introduce solids according to adjusted age anyway!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

My sister, who just graduated with a pediatric NP degree this year, was pushing 4 months. So, I don't think it's just outdated information. IIRC the AAP was conflicted on this. The committee on nutrition said 4 months, and the committee on breastfeeding said 6. I preferred BLS, so I went with the 6 month recommendation.

It's a hotly contested recommendation, with good data to support both positions. Basically, it's one of those things where the recommendation is going to change back and forth based on whatever paper has come out most recently. You know your baby best- do you feel that he's ready for solids? Is he interersted in them? Does he watch you eat, make mouthing movements, try to grab your food?

One thing you might want to consider, whether or not you choose to start solids at 4 months, is baby vitamins. Babies who are premature are more likely than full-term babies to be deficient in iron. A lot of the rationale for starting solids at 4 months is due to the iron needs of premature babies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I can't really say I have found any new research supporting this (as of yet). Like most health topics, you will be able to find support for both sides, so I am pretty sure this will always be a super contested issue in the medical field. For me personally, I am planning on letting my DD2 lead on this one and will be following my "mommy instinct." You know your child better than any doctor who only sees your LO occasionally for only so many minutes per visit. When my DD1 was 3.5 months, she was in the FTT category due to severe reflux (and I mean SEVERE). The doc wanted me to supplement with cereal in her milk and to start solids early. The cereal in the bottle was not a good thing to suggest (choking hazard) and my DD1 could not tolerate the cereal well at all. Cried miserably, was gassier, etc. Her stomach was clearly not ready for the solids in my experience. We did resolve her eating issues, but it was through the help of a LC, and not the doc. I felt like I needed to wait on the solids, and I was right. Only 2 months later, did I see that she was truly ready (6 months approx). So trust your instincts and watch for the signs mentioned above. You will always find someone who will argue that their advice is the best, most current, most accurate, etc., but you have to do what you truly feel is best! Lots of luck to you!

Thanks for all the replies. Something I failed to mention in my original post is that this pediatrician stood up for me when DS was in NiCu and they were insisting i give formula for jaundice. She told my neonatologist he was practicing from the 80s and that there was no current research to support not breastfeeding a baby with jaundice. So i know she is supportive of BF. I am also confused bc my son dropped to the 8th percentile in weight. So wouldn't introducing solids just interfere with breastmilk absorption? I would think as a PP said that the breastmilk is best for gaining weight. Just confused but going to follow my instincts!