Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get all the facts :-)

Default Trying to get all the facts :-)

My son will be four months on the 26th. I will be skipping past rice cereal and all that. I also have no plans on giving him solids of any kind till at least 6 months. My questions is: When should I introduce solids? I understand some moms wait till a year to give solids but I don't want to wait that long because I am afraid that if I wait, he will have difficulties adjusting. Also, once I feel he is ready for solids, when and how should I do it?

TIA

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: Trying to get all the facts :-)

I was hoping someone would reply because I was wondering the same thing! DS is only 2.5 months but I am wanting to plan
    July 27 2011

Here's a good list of signs to know when your baby is ready for solids. Taken from http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    ETA: as far as HOW to do it, there are a lot of differences of opinion. There are a lot of mamas who do baby led solids (BLS), and I would search for that if you're interested, or maybe another mama can post a link to a thread. I think its different for every mama and every baby. Another good site is http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/
    Last edited by @llli*oakdryad5; October 16th, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I recommend you check wholesomebabyfood.com =)...or http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/solids.htm
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yai View Post
    I recommend you check wholesomebabyfood.com =)...or http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/solids.htm
    Good website.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

We started solids when DS was about 6.5 months old. I had intended to do BLS with chunks of food for him to grab, but when I gave him a piece of banana, he shoved the whole thing into his mouth and we got a bit scared. So I'm doing pureed foods now, but only when he wants the spoon (so no force-feeding). I also skipped cereals, and started with fruits and veggies.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

We are doing BLS - LO is 6.5 mos, and so far we've only given him apple slices and green/yellow pepper slices. He has LOVED exploring the tastes, textures, etc ...and while he hasn't really *eaten* much of anything yet... that's ok. We are following the 10 second rule (i.e. when baby gags or whatever, give him a few secs to figure it out, spit the food out, spit up, whatever, before jumping in). So far, it's worked beautifully.

Yes, he shoved the apple too far in his mouth...causing him to gag and spit up a little, but he has had apples 6 times now and loves them. It's great to see him learn to pickup and gnaw on the food; he loved the textural differences on the peppers. The best thing about BLS = no feeding LO. He is in charge of putting everything into his mouth.

I think BLS is a beautiful extension of the trust and relationship we have while nursing. I trust my LO to know when he needs to nurse, and for him to stop when he has had his fill. By the same token, he can pick and choose what to try to eat... and how much to eat (well, once we get that far!). It leaves all the power in my LO's hands ..and lets him be in control of managing his appetite. No force feeding!

We checked the book, Baby Led Weaning, out from our local library (the cookbook version, actually). Here's the website: http://www.baby-led.com/

There is a PDF booklet you can download that gives you an overview of BLS (helpful for you if you're just getting started, or good to give to caregivers or concerned grandparents ).

Also, I remember reading somewhere that it can take babies upwards of 8 exposures to a particular food before they really understand and accept it. So rather than giving them one shot at a food and assuming they don't like it just because it didn't work that time... you offer it again, and again....!

I personally give even more then 8 times! I never give up! lol haha

We also do Baby led weaning/feeding. And my DD2, would not eat collards forever! We never forced her though, but every time we had them at a meal I would put a small spoonful on her tray as well. For months her spoonful would be left untouched. To our surprise last month we had a BBQ she ate all her collards plus seconds, thirds and if I recall right fourths! lol So never give up. lol

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Thank you all so much. I knew nothing about BLS until now and I am going to look at all the helpful websites. One last question, when do you start BLS?

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

We started a little after 6mos -- that booklet and the book both discuss signs of readiness. And it's pretty much the same as readiness for starting normal foods -- but with the understanding that at first babies will really just be exploring textures and sucking on the food, kwim?