Re: Sucking but not swallowing
Welcome! Can you go into some more detail about your new baby's situation? It would help us to know the following:
- Birth weight, lowest weight, and current weight
- Mode of birth- was your birth unusually difficult?
- Fluids- did you have IV fluids during birth, and if so, how long did you have the IV in for?
- Jaundice- is this a problem for your baby?
- Sleepiness- is baby sleepy, does he fall asleep easily at the breast?
- Scales- has baby always been weighed in the nude, on the same scale?
- Diaper output- before you began to supplement, about how many wet and poopy diapers was the baby having per day?
- How is nursing going aside from what you've mentioned? Is it painful at all?
- Has anyone checked baby for a tongue tie?
This link is a good one on increasing weight gain in a breastfed baby: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html. In particular, the breast compression technique can help speed milk flow to the baby.
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"