Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spit up....

Default Spit up....

My almost 3 month old spits up a few times a day. She doesn't seem uncomfortable but my sister says I may be overfeeding her. I know you can't overfeed a breastfed baby but I do offer the breast often.

When does the spit up get under control? I keep a bib on her know at all times expect when we sleep together and keep a burp cloth on my shoulder.

Default Re: Spit up....

You're right: the spit-up is not due to overfeeding. It's due to the relative weakness of the muscles that keep your baby's stomach contents down where they belong. Spitting up may continue for as long as a year or so, but generally lessens by around 6 months, or when the baby starts sitting up (since gravity helps keep the baby's meals down). It's a waiting game- you're waiting for the muscle tone of your baby's sphincters to develop, and that process can happen quickly or slowly, depending on the baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Some babies just spit up a lot more than others. DS1 spit up a lot, but he wasn't in pain either. It really sounds completely normal. I know at night it can be a lot more annoying especially if you are nursing at night and don't always burp in the middle of the night and because of gravity. For DS2 I had to keep a towel under us at night.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Some babies spit up a lot, like DD and DS2; others are not, like DS1. If your baby doesn't seem uncomfortable, it is more of a laundry problem than health problem. It does eventually get better.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting