Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of the road for me ?

Default Re: End of the road for me ?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Mama, I know it's counterintuitive, but at this point I think I'd cut back on the solids. Give it 24 hours with no solids, and do a careful diaper count. If you see sufficient wets, and your LO seems more or less satisfied at the breast, then you are having letdowns.

Couple things to think about:
    - are you pregnant?
    - have you started a new form of hormonal contraception?
    - is your LO sick or teething (that could affect his willingness to nurse enthusiastically and generate a rapid flow of milk)?
    not pregnant.
    no hormonal contraception.
    He is teething but not sick.

The herb marshmallow can help with letdown.

I would echo PP...do a careful diaper count on a day with no solids or supplement and see what it's like, but teething can very definitely interfere with breastfeeding while they learn how to nurse with teeth that are uncomfortable,
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Make sure are drinking plenty of fluids! I discovered that when I got a bit dehydrated, my letdowns slowed down dramatically. Also, I know this is easier said than done, but the more you focus on having a letdown, the more stressed you are going to get and affect the process. I found that if I could drink a large glass of water, lean back in the recliner and watch a TV show (for distraction), I did better. It will take a few times for you to start relaxing, but once I quit putting so much pressure on myself, they started picking right back up. Also, I don't know if you are doing this, but I used to watch my flow and letdowns while pumping. I don't do it anymore, and that made another difference. It was almost like I was giving the ladies stage fright by watching! I am so sorry you are going through this, and I truly hope things get better for you. I'm not sure what helped me will help you, but it certainly won't hurt! Lots of luck to you!

Thank you so much GAmom, I will do my best to not focus on the letdown. You're right about watching a show 4 distraction, that did work last time. I'm just taking it one meal for him at a time. Thank you for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*GAmom View Post
    Make sure are drinking plenty of fluids! I discovered that when I got a bit dehydrated, my letdowns slowed down dramatically. Also, I know this is easier said than done, but the more you focus on having a letdown, the more stressed you are going to get and affect the process. I found that if I could drink a large glass of water, lean back in the recliner and watch a TV show (for distraction), I did better. It will take a few times for you to start relaxing, but once I quit putting so much pressure on myself, they started picking right back up. Also, I don't know if you are doing this, but I used to watch my flow and letdowns while pumping. I don't do it anymore, and that made another difference. It was almost like I was giving the ladies stage fright by watching! I am so sorry you are going through this, and I truly hope things get better for you. I'm not sure what helped me will help you, but it certainly won't hurt! Lots of luck to you!

I was thinking of trying goats rue, since I have PCOS I will look into the marshmallow herb, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    The herb marshmallow can help with letdown.

I would echo PP...do a careful diaper count on a day with no solids or supplement and see what it's like, but teething can very definitely interfere with breastfeeding while they learn how to nurse with teeth that are uncomfortable,

anxiety can make it hard to letdown. I had that issue with ds1. Take the atvain if it helps you and remember to take a few minutes every day just for yourself. Have a shower, have a cup of tea, step outside. Anything that relaxes you.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

It's an obnoxious cycle -- you get stressed because your milk isn't letting down, which makes it harder to have a letdown, which makes you more stressed...

Kellymom has some suggestions for things you might try. Distraction always worked better for me than relaxation techniques, because I'd get stressed about whether I was relaxed enough.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

UPDATE; So today I've had a letdown at 2 a.m. 6 a.m. 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. I consider that to be a great accomplishment. Hopefully tomorrow will be a success as well. I've already started the marshmallow root. I'm praying that we will get through this hurdle. Thanks to all who responded with advice.

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you Aprilsmagic.....I took your advice and went out and bought Marshmallow herb. I'm currently taking it 3 capsules three times a day