Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of the road for me ?

Default End of the road for me ?

So I quit having let downs.......that's my problem now. My son is 6.5 months old. Last friday I did not let down for 24 hrs. every other dayI let down 2-4 times or non at all. I tried relaxing, hot pack, warm bath, snuggle with my son. I'm on ativan for anxiety (very low dose 0.5) I alreasy spoke with my LC.........is there any hope mamas???I'm taking domperidone, fish oil and fennel, drinking lots of water and spending 24 hrs. a day with my son.
    I DON'T want to quit nursing, but I feel like I'm being forced to by my body.......can anyone make any suggestions at all??? Thank you

Default Re: End of the road for me ?

often after the 6 month mark, mama's stop feeling the letdowns. What makes you think that you aren't having letdowns? Do you nurse on demand? Do you pump?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Great questions from the PP. If you're accustomed to feeling letdowns, the transition to not feeling them can be scary. Just one more question- if your baby is nursing, how is his behavior at the breast? Does he seem satisfied?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't see the suck pause swallow action I sed to see with a let down. I wish I wasn't feeling thr let down, instead it does not exist I nurse on demand and I cannot let down for the pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    often after the 6 month mark, mama's stop feeling the letdowns. What makes you think that you aren't having letdowns? Do you nurse on demand? Do you pump?

How many wet diapers are you getting in a 24 hour period? If you are getting 5-6 really wet diapers, you are making enough milk. The let down might be slower or not as noticeable, but if there is consistent milk transfer than there is letdown (because without letdown new milk wont travel through the milk ducts).

Hang in there mama - don't get discouraged there may not be any problems
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

my son has a rather shallow suck, he usually will just fall asleep comes off the breast cranky, definetly not satisfied. I have frozen breast milk, but he's now refusing the bottle he used to occasionaly take. I also tried sippy cup nuby, not working out. (sorry typing with one hand).
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Great questions from the PP. If you're accustomed to feeling letdowns, the transition to not feeling them can be scary. Just one more question- if your baby is nursing, how is his behavior at the breast? Does he seem satisfied?

I'm not 100% sure what is going on, but this was my experience.

First AF at 6 months postpartum, I could not get a letdown! Well, maybe I would have but my son is very accustomed to overactive letdown, and it was taking so long he would scream bloody murder. It turned out to be AF. As soon as I started my period everything was back to normal. He's 9 months now and can roll with the supply dip better. But that month I did a lot of skin to skin with him as he was pretty distressed about it.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

You do have a point sch.mommy however, I cannot believe that there are let downs because I'm not hearing my son swallow and I'm watching for that suck pause swallow activity and there isn't any. As far as diapers are concerned, I'm having to supplement with solids only after my son has gone 6 or more hours without a let down (during the day). Thank you for trying to give me even a glimmer of hope, I've been crying over 6 days!! I hope this gets resolved soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    How many wet diapers are you getting in a 24 hour period? If you are getting 5-6 really wet diapers, you are making enough milk. The let down might be slower or not as noticeable, but if there is consistent milk transfer than there is letdown (because without letdown new milk wont travel through the milk ducts).

Hang in there mama - don't get discouraged there may not be any problems

Mama, I know it's counterintuitive, but at this point I think I'd cut back on the solids. Give it 24 hours with no solids, and do a careful diaper count. If you see sufficient wets, and your LO seems more or less satisfied at the breast, then you are having letdowns.

Couple things to think about:
    - are you pregnant?
    - have you started a new form of hormonal contraception?
    - is your LO sick or teething (that could affect his willingness to nurse enthusiastically and generate a rapid flow of milk)?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Let down is a psychological reflex in my experience, when I think about it and worry about it it doesn't happen, try to relax. Fenugreek tablets also helped me a lot.