Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hungry at night

Default Hungry at night

Hi, I am new here and I have a question:
    My son is 3.5 months and I EPing (I pump at work and at home) during the week and then BFinf and pumping on weekends. He takes 6-8 4oz bottles in a 24 hour period. My problem is that he takes 3-4 of these bottles during the night, so he is awake every 3-3.5 hours at night. During the day he is very active and distracted and is hardly finishes his bottle. I would love for him to sleep longer periods at night but I don’t know how to make him eat more during the day and less during the night. When he wakes up at night he screams while my mom or I are warming up the bottle. I tried to soothe him without feeding at night but it never worked as he seems to be really hungry. He used to sleep 7-8 hours a night before he turned 2.5 months and then he started getting up more frequently until it got to the point when there are no more longer stretches of sleep anymore at night. I was thinking about shrinking the size of night feeding from 4 oz to 2 oz….maybe it will make him hungry during the day and he’ll eat more? Should I try to feed him more often during the day? We are all sleep deprived and it starts to affect my work. Our current schedule is as follows:
    9am – 4oz
    12 pm – 4oz
    3 pm - 4 oz
    5:30 pm - 4oz
    8pm – 4oz (sometimes he is not eating anything and doesn’t seem hungry), go to sleep
    11:30 am – 3-4 oz
    2:30 am – 3-4 oz
    5:50 am – 3-4 oz

He is gaining weight well and his diaper output seems to be normal. Thank you for your help.

Maria

Default Re: Hungry at night

First of all, welcome! I am new here as well.
    Question though, why are you giving bottles of breastmilk at night? Will he latch and breastfeed or are you forced to pump? Maybe he wants to feel more connected to you? Maybe he is teething and is uncomfortable and needs to feed to feel better. The best thing that has worked for me is routine. Get into a routine that works best. Bath, massage, feed.. etc.. whatever you want to do. Maybe he just needs time to unwind at night. It will get better I promise! Plus he is still kind of little. Hang in there!

My baby takes bottles at night too on almost that exact schedule. I EP because he has a cleft lip and palate and cannot nurse.

But...why not nurse him while you are at home? So, so much easier! And you won't have that screaming while waiting for the bottle to warm either (which is why I never heat bottles).
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Welcome! I know this isn't what you want to hear, but getting him to eat more during the day won't help him sleep at night. What es doing is perfectly normal, especially with a working mom. Although, my son is almost 14 months and still on that schedule.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn