Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BF position as they grow?

Default BF position as they grow?

Need some ideas on positioning my babies while nursing as they are getting big!

I am nursing my twins who will be 6 months on Saturday. I nurse them simultaneously in the football hold and use a mybrestfriend for twins pillow. They are starting to get very long-their feet have hung over the edge for quite a while, and now their tushies are barely on the pillow.

What positions do you use to feed your LO around this age?

Cross cradle doesn't work for me-these girls are too big to fit comfortably. Even 1 cradle and 1 football doesn't work-one gets kicked in the head.

Do you nurse with baby sitting up? Do they have to be able to sit up on their own to do that? Is there a way to support them sitting up?
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Default Re: BF position as they grow?

What about both in footballs?

You could try sitting up. I did that with my last baby, in an effort to help him nurse, as a newborn.

I think a friend of mine with twins ditched the special breastfeeding pillows and just used a bigger pillow when they got big.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

A friend of mine lays on the floor...on her back, and her twins each take a boob. They kinda sit/lean forwards onto her from the floor. You could try something like that!!

I've laid on my back and nursed my LO, holding him and having my arms propped up. But he's big enough now that I don't have to hold him in place. So I bet my friend's solution would work for you.

So far as sitting up -- yes, I've nursed with my LO sitting up, and he does ok. You could try a woven wrap behind their back to support them if you don't think they'll stay?

I will try using pillows instead of my BF pillow, that should work.

I currently use the football hold.

I have read about feeding in the prone position (lying, right?) and it seems very weird to me. Does it feel different? I imagine milk must have to work against gravity-is it harder for LOs to feed?

My girls are not sitting up yet, they can if propped (on the sofa), but quickly slouch down. I tried nursing one sitting up over the weekend because she was screaming every time i laid her down and it worked. If that is a good position I should be able to do that when they are a little bigger. But what about dream feeds/sleepy feeds? Can they still eat in a sitting position?
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

They can eat however you all are comfy
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I might also try slightly leaned back, but sitting, with a baby straddling each of my thighs - or maybe even not straddling, but sitting sidesaddle.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    I might also try slightly leaned back, but sitting, with a baby straddling each of my thighs - or maybe even not straddling, but sitting sidesaddle.
    These were my daughter's favourite positions from very early on She still tries but she is a little tall now . She does nurse standing up a lot.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Nursing while lying prone works well, trust me

I dont havee to do any work ..my LO holds the breast, moves his head to right place, etc. I've actually taken to nursing this way in bed over side-lying....it just is more comfy for me!

Depending on your LO, you may need to prop up some pillows etc... but we started doing this at 6mos. With LO lying down across my chest, or sitting on floor/bed next to my armpit leaning over on top of chest to nurse.

they can nurse standing on their heads...for real.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    These were my daughter's favourite positions from very early on She still tries but she is a little tall now . She does nurse standing up a lot.
    We moved from cradle hold as an infant, to lap sitting or sitting beside me or lying down together as a bigger baby/toddler, to lying beside me or standing or cradle hold again (but lying on the couch, not on my lap, just his head and shoulders in my lap) by the time he was a preschooler.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012