Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek....not as potent?

Default Fenugreek....not as potent?

So I started Fenugreek (3 caps 3xday) a few weeks ago. I had gotten the bottle at a local Rite Aid. The bottle smelled like maple syrup and although I didn't smell like it I did burp it up (often, ugh). While at WalMart I saw a bottle and snagged it ($4 cheaper). Since starting this bottle I've noticed no strong smell from the bottle or from me. The expiration date is good - July 2013. I haven't noticed a change while pumping (I'm not a big producer) but I'm only two days into this bottle.
    So my question is do you think it's safe to assume this bottle is not as potent because of the lack of smell (from the capsules themselves, not me). Or maybe wait and see about milk output?
    Married 10/30/10 to DH Ryan
    DD Ruby 9/20/11

Currently and learning

I breastfeed because I couldn't produce enough formula.

Default Re: Fenugreek....not as potent?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother buying fenugreek pills. Huge waste of $, IMO. You can buy fenugreek seed online or sometimes in your local grocery (look for bags of khaki-colored seed labeled "Methi" or "Hilbeh" amongst the Indian or Middle Eastern spices). It generally costs about $4 a lb, and in my experience is always fresher and more effective than what comes in the pills.

I think you're safe to assume that the bottle of pills you have is stale, or contains more grass clippings than fenugreek (the herbal supplement market is astonishingly poorly regulated). But there's probably no harm in seeing if it gives you a boost before throwing the bottle away!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would give it a few days to see how your supply is. I actually had a nice little boost from fenugreek pills while pumping, and found a lot of variation between brands. For example, I regularly used these:

http://www.drugstore.com/natures-way...srch=fenugreek

One day I bought a different brand at a local health food store and within about 2 days I was pumping less (noticeably). I went back to the original pills and after a day or so my supply went back up. So, the other brand I bought may have been stale. Just my experience.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Ugh, went from 2-3 oz to less than 1/2 oz. I freaked, thought I had "dried up" over night. I have pumped twice in place of feedings (she was sleeping) and got a measly amount. I haven't found Fenugreek seed yet, just the basic herb. There is one local health-food store, I'll try there today!
    Married 10/30/10 to DH Ryan
    DD Ruby 9/20/11

Currently and learning

I breastfeed because I couldn't produce enough formula.

I found fenugreek seeds at a local Indian food market. They have done wonders and work much much better than the pills. I paid 3.99 for 14oz