Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In Need of Help! Please....

Exclamation In Need of Help! Please....

Hello,

I am in need of some desperate help. My daughter is 8 weeks old and I thought we had this whole bf thing down but recently she has started not wanting to eat. At least that's how it seems. She would usually eat every 2-3hours now whenever I try to feed her she gets really upset as soon as I lay her down. Now she seems to be going 4 hours without eating her dad says she does most of her eating at night while she is sleeping but I really feel like a failure or that my milk supply is going to deminish if I don't keep her on a schedule.Plus I have read alot of bf books and they all state feeding should last about 10 minutes on each side which is where we used to be but now it's about 7 minutes and it's only one breast at a session she will not take the other breast sometimes and it scares me that she is not getting the nurishment that she needs.

Default Re: In Need of Help! Please....

Hello and welcome to the forum! I wouldn't worry about the length of time that your child is eating. My daughter is 7 months old and eats for less than 10 minutes on only one breast. Your baby has become a more efficient eater and can get all that she needs in a shorter amount of time. Here is a link that explains how to track if your baby is eating enough. Now when you say that she gets upset when you try to feed her, does she calm down once she starts eating or when she is finished? Does anything on this page sound familiar?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

She is getting upset as soon as I lay her down to eat like she's not hungry at least that's what I am thinking. Sometimes she gets so upset that I can't calm her down enough to eat. Thanks for the link!

My DD started acting similarly around the same age. It could be several things...for one they need to eat almost constantly in the first few weeks. We get so used to nursing them that it is strange when they slow down. It is hard not to worry (I did) but four hours is not too long to go without eating especially if she is still eating frequently while she sleeps at night (I guess you co-sleep?) She could also be coming more aware of the world and just not wanting to nurse as often. As long as her diaper output continues to be good, I wouldn't worry. Your supply will probably be fine too. Just let her lead and your body will keep up.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.