Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Under-active letdown?

Default Under-active letdown?

My DS is not gaining weight as quickly as he should so i went to a LC today and discovered that I don't have much of a letdown. Does anyone know of anything that helps your milk let down faster?

Default Re: Under-active letdown?

This response isn't going to help you, I apologize for that, but I'm wondering how they figure out if you have "much of a letdown." I have never felt letdown at all, the breast just get full gradually and then baby eats and they get flat. She seems efficient, and she's growing like a moose. I never really understood this whole let down thing in the first place. Maybe one of your future responders will shed light on this when responding to you and I will learn along with you.

with the PP. I'd like to know how the LC determined what sort of a letdown you have... It's one of those things that is very hard to quantify!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've actually been thinking about it and watching my son eat today, and I notice that in the morning he has a much better suck swallow pattern and in the evening his suck swallow pattern is mostly sucks and very little swallows, which is why the LC though I didn't have a very strong letdown. I'm actually starting to think that it really is just that I'm not making quite enough milk. It seems to be plenty in the morning, and then in the evening he never seems satisfied. I have been pumping to increase supply, and that seems to have already helped some.

The pattern you're noticing is actually pretty normal. Because prolactin levels peak overnight, most moms find that their milk is most abundant in the morning. So often the first few feeds of the day will be ones where the baby gets a lot if milk without much effort, hence the low suck:swallow ratio. Evenings tend to be a low point for supply for most moms, which may mean the baby does a lot of work for less milk. But evenings are also a very normal time for a baby to fuss and spend hours at the breast, regardless of mom's supply, because nursing is a good way for a tired baby to comfort himself to sleep.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't have much of a letdown (most times I can't feel it at all and when I pump it is only rarely noticed)m but my son is gaining lots of weight. I didn't think that letdowns were related to the amount of milk you have, but I could be wrong (I am new at all of this!). I thought that letdown was just the feeling of milk moving through the breast.
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).