Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food refusal

Question Food refusal

We've started BLS, and Amee took to it very well at first. She was very interested in everything I put in front of her, loved playing with and gumming any foods I gave her. I was finding alot of pieces in her diapers the next day, so I know she was eating alot of what I gave her. Starting this past Sunday, however, she's started refusing everything I offer. She'll pick up each item, look at it for a minute, then very deliberately throw it on the floor. Even stuff that I know she's loved previously.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Similar experiences? Suggestions on what to do? I'm guessing I should just keep offering, and eventually she'll want food again, but I don't want to cause a food aversion by forcing her too much.

(And I'm not forcing her to eat, I'm putting it on her tray in front of her, the same foods that are on my plate.)
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

Default Re: Food refusal

I would guess that right now throwing food on the floor is more fun than eating, especially when mommy then gives her something else to throw on the floor. If my LO were doing that I would probably simply stop feeding for that meal. If the game can't continue, it's not any fun. You aren't punishing her or depriving her; BM is still providing her nutrition. Eventually eating the food will be more interesting than throwing it on the floor.

BTW my niece would start blinking like she was startled by things hitting the ground when she threw things off of her tray but she would start blinking before she ever dropped it. It was really quite humorous.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thanks! Yes, that does sound kind of like what Amee is doing. She throws or drops something, then peers over the side of her highchair to look at it on the floor. Lol, I caught a couple of her carrots today and she watched the floor for a really long time with a cute little puzzled look on her face, like she couldn't figure out where they'd gone.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.

dont know if you're up to it, or if she's eating stuff like cheerios. but you can try laying a towel or whatever down on the floor and putting stuff on a plate or bowl and letting her have at it there. might be a fun seeing what she'll do when the height aspect is removed. i'm not suggesting this to "solve" the refusal problem, I think she'll eventually get bored of the throwing stuff once she starts wanting to actually eat the food again, its just something fun to try for snack time to change it up
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I think I've discovered part of the problem this morning. I knew she was teething, but when I pried her mouth open this morning to check things out, I counted SIX () teeth coming in at once. One has almost broken through, but the others are all pretty close.

So I'm thinking her mouth just doesn't feel good enough to put anything in that's not num-num's (nursing, lol) or frozen.
    Proud mama to:

I was going to suggest teething! My daughter, who is now almost 14 months, goes through these exact same behaviours. The long stretches 2 months each can be attributed to teething, 2 months for her bottom 2, 2 months for her top 2. She still throws food but is eating some of it now that her teeth are in. I considered taking the food away and ending the meal once the behaviour started but in our case if you put the food back on the table she will often eat it so she isn't 'done' with her meal per say. We have also done the eating off the floor thing which sometimes works other times she just ignores it and goes to play.