Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, at some point it stops hurting?

Default Re: So, at some point it stops hurting?

I keep coming back to thrush issues as well, but my pediatrician and doctor say it isn't—but their only criteria seem to be white spots inside his mouth, which he doesn't have, and nothing else. It still is fairly painful when I nurse. Latch on is often troublesome, as he bobs and weaves around so I have to really hold him back to get the nip compressed enough. Well, not the nipple but behind it, like the boob sandwich to get enough into his mouth. Occasionally the pain goes away during the feed, or subsides, but most of the time it doesn't.

And after a feed—like right now as I am typing this, I fed him maybe 45 minutes ago from both sides. I get these pinching vasospasms and it aches deep down into the ducts. That's the only way I can describe it. I have to feed him on one side per feed to give the other side time to recover.

I know that solids aren't the cure all, I guess I was just being overly optimistic / enthusiastic. I just feel guilty because a few nights I've been so sore, I've had to give him a pumped bottle which he just GUZZLES (like they do) and then sleeps for eight hours. Makes me seriously consider pumping more often, but he is so clingy I would never have time to do anything during the day if I did. *sigh*

I guess I'm just venting. Thanks for listening, mamas.

If I were you I would try some clotrimazole or something for thrush to see if its that. I had all the things you described... For three months I seen a lactation consultant 5+ times. Baby had no sign of thrush but the LCD recommended I try it can't hurt! In one day I felt tons better.

Get some Lotrimin and treat yourself for thrush.

I had thrush with my third baby, knew it was thrush, even though I had no signs other than pain, and baby had no signs. I TOLD my ped and MW to treat us with Diflucan. TOLD them flat out. And within a few days, the pain was gone. I called them both up and thanked them, and while they were both surprised that that was all it took, they told me they learned something from that. What I'm saying is that you might have be the demanding client and tell them what you need.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaofemmalyn View Post
    If I were you I would try some clotrimazole or something for thrush to see if its that. I had all the things you described... For three months I seen a lactation consultant 5+ times. Baby had no sign of thrush but the LCD recommended I try it can't hurt! In one day I felt tons better.
    Yeah, I tried that plus hydrocortisone for over a week, and didn't see a ton of difference. I was concerned about him ingesting it after a while, so I stopped.

have you gone to a LC? or even to a certified nurse in the hospitals maternity ward? I had Thrush & the only way to get rid of it when it is subcutaneous is to take the diflucan, or at least the nurse at my LLL meeting said so & that worked. Also, have you read about vapospasm? I think this might be what you are dealing with. I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right, but google it & check it out.
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby