Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, at some point it stops hurting?

Default So, at some point it stops hurting?

I'll make a new thread over here, as bubs is almost 4 months old. Holy cow! We've made it longer than I thought, especially in the thick of things. Yay us.

But I keep hearing that at some point, breastfeeding is actually not painful. Hmm. Really? I am finding this hard to believe. Not to be a martyr or anything, but I will stick with this as long as possible because it is the right thing to do, but dang it hurts like heck! Every suckle/bite is like sandpaper! My firm vow during pregnancy never to swear in front of my child has gone out the window because I curse like a sailor just about every time he latches on. I am growing to really hate breastfeeding and honestly I just count the days left like a prison sentence. Lately, too, he will bite, twist, scratch and pull on my nipples, sliding them out of his mouth and farting these epic farts, then fussing because he pulled a boob out of his mouth! After a few minutes of this I just have to unlatch him and put him down for a minute, it's just too painful.

He still wants to nurse every 45 minutes and I am fearful that I am just not making enough. But diaper count and growth seems to be good, so I can't figure. I guess I just want some sympathy and reassurance that for some women it just hurts. Grr.

Default Re: So, at some point it stops hurting?

Oh my gosh honey, I am so sorry you've had pain this long. No, breastfeeding shouldn't hurt beyond some initial nipple soreness while you are getting used to nursing. Well, obviously if baby bites it will hurt, and I get some soreness before my period.

You may have a latch issue. How do your nipples look when he comes off the breast? Are they elongated and uniform like pencil erasers or lipstick shaped? Honestly the best thing you can do is get hands on help from a IBCLC.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Are there white lines, kind of like crease marks, accross your nipples after? Are they really dry, or do you use alot of lanolin? Those are the two times nursing hurts for me. If my nipples become really dry, chapped feeling, everything hurts. So I'll make sure to use a little lanolin after ever nursing session, and within a couple of days I'll feel better.

When Amee gets lazy with her latch, she'll leave crease marks or white blotches, like the blood has left that area. When that starts happening, I have to re-latch her a few times, and make sure her mouth is as wide-open as possible. It's pretty much an instant fix for the pain for me.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melissawoods View Post
    Oh my gosh honey, I am so sorry you've had pain this long. No, breastfeeding shouldn't hurt beyond some initial nipple soreness while you are getting used to nursing. Well, obviously if baby bites it will hurt, and I get some soreness before my period.

You may have a latch issue. How do your nipples look when he comes off the breast? Are they elongated and uniform like pencil erasers or lipstick shaped? Honestly the best thing you can do is get hands on help from a IBCLC.
    I haven't had a period yet, so no way to judge that... But good thought. My right nipple is typically lipstick-shaped when he comes off, but I try and try to get that "asymmetric" latch, though that usually only makes it worse. The point of the lipstick shape is always towards his tongue, so if I am pointing my nipple towards the roof of his mouth like I had been taught it makes it worse.

The left nipple is substantially larger than my right and always much more sore. For example, I just nursed him on the right side only (trying to do one side at a time to keep them from completely falling off) and now the left side hurts. The base of the nipple is more flared out, not like... a straight, pointy, regular nipple. Like this: / \ instead of this | | if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amees.mom View Post
    Are there white lines, kind of like crease marks, accross your nipples after? Are they really dry, or do you use alot of lanolin? Those are the two times nursing hurts for me. If my nipples become really dry, chapped feeling, everything hurts. So I'll make sure to use a little lanolin after ever nursing session, and within a couple of days I'll feel better.

When Amee gets lazy with her latch, she'll leave crease marks or white blotches, like the blood has left that area. When that starts happening, I have to re-latch her a few times, and make sure her mouth is as wide-open as possible. It's pretty much an instant fix for the pain for me.
    Lanolin doesn't really do anything and I desperately wish it did. I get white / blanched nipples easily ten times a day, usually in the left one. After a feed, randomly throughout the day, whatever. His mouth is very wide but he always slides off the nipple during a feed. I have to hold his head on me to keep him from fighting me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shortthumbs View Post
    I get white / blanched nipples easily ten times a day, usually in the left one. After a feed, randomly throughout the day, whatever. His mouth is very wide but he always slides off the nipple during a feed. I have to hold his head on me to keep him from fighting me.
    This sounds very much like vasospasm due to compression: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/...blanching.html

Mama, if 5.5 years ago you had told me that someday I would nurse my first baby without cursing in pain, I would have laughed at you. I was determined to nurse her for a year, but I swore up and down that I was weaning her cold turkey on day 365 because it hurt so much. Instead, by 6 months the pain was gone and by the time DD1 was closing in on a year, I knew there was no way I could give up on nursing. I ended up nursing her for 3 years. The first 5 months sucked, but are that it was pretty much just a pure joy.

You'll get there, mama.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What an awesome story you have! Wow.

I do have to admit that I am looking forward to when I can start solids with him; I really suspect that, being such a big baby, and with my past reduction issues, he may just not be getting enough food. I wants to nurse all the time—and though people say "Oh yeah, that's just a growth spurt!" It really hasn't changed since birth. Every 45 minutes or maybe a bit longer. And he is just impossible to settle down for naps. I very, very rarely get him to sleep anywhere but on me during the day time. I love my little guy but it's exhausting!!

So, 260 days to go. But who's counting, right?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    This sounds very much like vasospasm due to compression: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/...blanching.html

Mama, if 5.5 years ago you had told me that someday I would nurse my first baby without cursing in pain, I would have laughed at you. I was determined to nurse her for a year, but I swore up and down that I was weaning her cold turkey on day 365 because it hurt so much. Instead, by 6 months the pain was gone and by the time DD1 was closing in on a year, I knew there was no way I could give up on nursing. I ended up nursing her for 3 years. The first 5 months sucked, but are that it was pretty much just a pure joy.

You'll get there, mama.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shortthumbs View Post
    So, 260 days to go. But who's counting, right?
    I can completely relate. I counted the days, too. I remember thinking things like "Ten more months of this cr@p."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

And the fact that you have one of my favorite drawings by one of my favorite artists also manages to cheer me up, too.

Ooh, you're a Durer fan too? Good taste, mama!

My first thoughts when a mom is out several months and it stil hurts is thrush and vasospasm, followed by latch issues.

I must admit, the 6 years I had a baby at the breast, it always hurt at latch-on.

A breast reduction can make it difficult to exclusively feed from the breast.

Solids...they may or may not help. My youngest was not interested in solids, but I was, as I was hoping to be able to get a little slack in the pumping department --I'm sick of it -- but he would not eat any. Now he will rat solids,but he still wants just as much milk. So solids may not be the cure-all you might have been told they would be, or work they way you might be hoping they work. Does that make sense? Solids are really for play and enjoyment the first year anyway, with nutrition coming mostly from mama milk or formula.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!