Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dairy free & poops still mucousy??

Default Re: Dairy free & poops still mucousy??

I'm also a FTM, so I only have my experience to compare with. My baby's poops are often slimy (and other variations of mucousy poop such as stringy etc). I brought it up to my pedi and he said that a certain amount of mucus is OK, also told me not to worry about it. As for dairy, I am not sure if a partial elimination will make a difference. I guess the advantage of eliminating all dairy, including hidden dairy, is that at least you will know whether it helps your LO or not. The worst that can happen is you cut all dairy for a month (to give it enough time to clear off your body) and endure a somewhat boring/limited diet. At the end, if it makes a difference you keep on doing... if not you can drink a nice cup of hot cocoa!

I must say that in the beginning I was very skeptical when I cut off all the stuff. I thought I was sacrificing a lot of things uselessly while the "real cause" of my baby's tummy troubles went undiscovered. Even my pedi told me not to bother with eliminating anything besides dairy and soy. BUT... after cutting all the stuff including gluten and nuts... voila!, my baby's poops improved so much, her gas too, and her colic disappeared.

So... if I were you I would do it just as a trial run...
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

I think I'm going to try cutting all dairy and see if that makes a difference. After we saw her pedi I was thinking I'd avoid soy too, but the other night I accidentally ate a good size serving of soy-based ice cream (thought I had grabbed a coconut-milk one & didn't read the ingredients closely til I had already eaten a bunch of it ) and it didn't seem to bother her. She wasn't fussy or anything, seemed to be her normal self. She was a little gassy the next night & woke up a few times, but I'm not sure that was even because of the soy. She didn't react in anyway that would make me think she had an allergy to it. There was some more mucousy poop today (no blood that I could see) but that could still be from the dairy getting out of our systems. So I think I'll avoid the major soy stuff (milk, etc.) but not worry too much about the "hidden" soy. I've been a few days totally dairy free now and she seems to be spitting up less, and also a little less gassy. Last night she slept 8 hrs straight! I'll cut whatever I need to if it gets us that much sleep every night!

How did you decide what to cut? Did your baby have any other signs of allergies (breakouts, etc.)? Our doc seemed pretty confident that dairy was the problem, but who knows...this is a bummer time of year to be dairy free though...all our yummy Thanksgiving favorites have dairy in them!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliasmomma View Post
    How did you decide what to cut? Did your baby have any other signs of allergies (breakouts, etc.)?
    My baby only had GI symptoms: colic, gas, green mucousy poops, diarrhea, explosive poops. We went to the pedi for these symptoms thinking it might be a virus or even a parasite! The pedi ran a test on her poop, in the office, and found microscopic blood. B/c of the blood the pedi thought it might be a food sensitivity. Then she gave me instructions to eliminate the following: dairy, soy, nuts, gluten, eggs for several weeks. And then to start adding them back, one by one, so as to figure out what caused a reaction. Eggs were OK, but gluten and nuts caused a reaction, so the pedi said to wait until baby is older to even try and reintroduce soy and dairy.

She was never diagnosed with allergies, but rather with food sensitivities. I never got a clear answer or even prognosis... I am not sure doctors even know that much about the science of what passes into breastmilk. Someone needs to do more research on it! So a lot of it has to be based on you observing your baby, trial and error, etc. Combine the doctor's advice with the things that _you_ find out make your baby feel better.

And yes, I have been thinking about my dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, gluten-free Thanksgiving. I love stuffing and gravy, and don't even mention pumpkin pie. It _is_ hard to do the diet, and I find myself longing nostalgically for all sorts of things. But then again, as moms we find we'll do anything for our LOs, no matter how hard, right?

If the only thing you're cutting off is dairy, there are lots of replacements out there. There is a great forum on Nutrition here with tips and lists of products and very knowledgeable moms.

By the way, 8 hours of straight sleep is amazing! Enjoy it!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

if your baby seems happy I wouldn't worry about it. The Kellymom site has allot of info on poo if you want to read up on it but most of what your talking about seems fairly common to me. Dairy & Soy free only works if you cut out everything & that is incredibly hard to do. Prior poster is correct you have to check your vitamins & every lable for everything. Milk products have about 50 different names. My nephew has a very serious milk protein allergy & my poor sister in law still runs into issue on occasion because it is in EVERYTHING.
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby

Thank you! I have never thought so much about poo in my life...will definitely check the Kelly Mom site for more info DD seems pretty much fine, except for the poos that are still kind of mucousy, but I know it takes 4-6 weeks for that to go away sometimes. She gets a little fussy when she's tired, but the full dairy elimination seems to have made a big difference. We see her doc next week for her 4 mo appt so I will see what she thinks then. We also have some samples to bring so they can check for blood.

Also, random question...how do you set up your profile to show your info w/pics & stuff underneath your posts? I've been trying to figure it out for weeks! Also, how do you post a profile picture? Thank you!!

it in the "My Profile" section. It took me forever to figure it out too!! Just so ya know, I did the elimination diet for awhile too. When I fell off the wagon he was old enough to no longer have a major issue. Now its only a problem if someone gives him something he shouldnt be eating (his dad loves to give him chocolate cookies)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliasmomma View Post
    Her pedi wasn't concerned, but are poopies supposed to be slimy? Or more runny? About the time they changed was when she went from pooping in every diaper to once every day or 2, so maybe they're just different b/c she's pooping less often? She is my first so I don't know what's normal
    My pedi gave similar advice when we were having green, overly-liquidy (aka leaking everywhere) poop issues around that same age. The pedi said that the poop changes with time and not to worry about it. I have no idea if he was right or not, but we just dealt with the strange looking poop. Once DS started solids, the poop *really* changed and now it's never green or watery or mucousy.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*charadawn View Post
    it in the "My Profile" section. It took me forever to figure it out too!! Just so ya know, I did the elimination diet for awhile too. When I fell off the wagon he was old enough to no longer have a major issue. Now its only a problem if someone gives him something he shouldnt be eating (his dad loves to give him chocolate cookies)
    I was mistaken.... its in the Control Panel......

I got it! Thank you!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

We've been having very similar issues with our baby. She started having small flecks of blood and mucous in her stool around 2 months (she'll be 4 months Nov 14). She also has the allergy ring (redness around her anus) and her stools are often smelly (not that nice buttermilk poopy smell). I was already gluten and virtually dairy free because of my own allergies but finally eliminated butter a couple weeks ago and now I'm eliminating pork (my LLL leader said that can be a common allergen). My pediatrician has said the same thing: as long as she's not gushing blood, I don't have to worry. But I remember how her normal stools looked and smelled and I want to get her back to that place. Maybe it's not a dire medical emergency but I can't help but wonder if there might be more long term, subtle consequences from this. After all, her intestines are clearly irritated. Yes, she's gaining weight, is alert and seemingly healthy. But right now I still want to work at getting her better.