Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dairy free & poops still mucousy??

Default Dairy free & poops still mucousy??

My DD will be 4 months old next week & when she was about 2 months we noticed some mucous & a little bit of blood in one of her poopy diapers. The doc said it meant she was intolerant to something that I was eating, most likely dairy. So she told me to cut all the "obvious" dairy from my diet, but it was still ok to eat bread, cake, etc. - things that might have butter or milk in them. She also told me to avoid soy, since lots of babies that don't tolerate dairy also don't tolerate soy. I've done that, and we hadn't seen any mucous or blood in her diapers since then. Her poops were still sort of slimy, very smelly & ranged in color from greenish yellow to yellowish orange. Still seedy but not as much as when she was first born. She poops anywhere from 2-3X/day to once every 2-3 days. Just depends. She has a wet diaper every few hours, so probably 6-8/day, though not soaking usually.

Today she had another poopy diaper that was very mucousy. I called and the doc wants to see her again on Friday. She has been fussier, more gassy the last few days. I'm still not eating the obvious dairy but haven't cut anything else yet. I have been taking probiotics to fight a yeast infection, so I thought maybe that was the cause of the gas, but I don't think it would cause mucousy poops. I can't think of anything I might have eaten that was out of the ordinary over the last few days.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Should I go completely dairy free? Or maybe she's intolerant to something else I'm eating? Do allergies develop at any time? I'm worried that the doc is going to want us to try formula, and I really don't want to do that. I think that BM is the best for her and we really can't afford the hypo-allergenic formulas.

Her weight gain has been very good. She weighed 6.14 at birth and was up to 12.2 at 2 months. I'm guessing now she's probably 14-15lbs, though I'm not really sure. I'm hoping that maybe since she's growing so well I won't have to try formula...

Default Re: Dairy free & poops still mucousy??

I would absolutely cut all dairy, I'm surprised your doctor didn't have you do that to begin with. Definitely do that before going to formula. There are many things it could be so you have lots of options before resorting to formula. If cutting all dairy doesn't work I'd add soy into the elimination as the next step.

Any other signs of allergies or is it just the poops?

There should be no reason for you to switch to formula at this point. If your doc recommends it I would get a second opinion, preferably from a pediatric allergist or GI.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I did wonder about that, but I figured they knew what they were talking about. I was trying to avoid most stuff anyway, but I will be more serious about it now. No other signs of allergies (no breakouts, etc.) - just the gas & strange poops. She does spit up a lot, all the time, but is still growing fine...not sure if that can mean an allergy or not.

Thank you! I'm relieved to hear you say that we probably won't need formula...

Check your probiotic, too. To make sure there is no dairy in it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I went dairy free for a while and it is harder than it seems. Along with obvious dairy, many times you have to cut out basically all processed foods- they usually contain casein or whey. I would google dairy free diet for a comprehensive list.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Your description of your baby's poops sounds very similar to mine. I cut off a lot of things and then challenged to see what made her react. I have been off dairy, soy, nuts/peanuts and all gluten for five months now. It helped a lot, although there are ups and downs.

As PP said, hidden dairy is everywhere--even in cold cuts and chicken stock cubes! So yes, you have to eliminate most processed foods, and it gets tricky eating out too. I kind of gave up because even when I tell the waiter I can't have dairy etc., my baby's poops always act up afterwards. I guess there are also possible issues with cross-contamination.

It is tough to do this but it's worth it, especially when you see results. And if it turns out that in your case it doesn't make a difference, then at least you rule out possible causes.

When you cut all dairy you also have to give it 2-4 weeks because the milk protein remains in your system. I started to see a difference in my baby's poops a month after going off dairy and about one or two weeks after cutting the other stuff.

There are lots of hypoallergenic foods out there that make life a bit easier.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    As PP said, hidden dairy is everywhere--even in cold cuts and chicken stock cubes!
    make sure you check your vitamins too!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Thanks for the suggestions! I took a closer look at my favorite snacks last night & realized there is soy in a lot of them, so that might even be tougher to give up than the dairy...we'll see. Maybe I won't have to.

kmanih - that is a lot of allergies what do you eat? i'm a little worried about getting balanced nutrition if i have to eliminate a lot of things due to allergies...I guess we'll see what they say tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliasmomma View Post
    I took a closer look at my favorite snacks last night & realized there is soy in a lot of them, so that might even be tougher to give up than the dairy...we'll see. Maybe I won't have to.
    Soy is in EVERYTHING!!! But yes, maybe you won't have to give it up--or at least not for longer than the couple of weeks it takes to do the elimination.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliasmomma View Post
    kmanih - that is a lot of allergies what do you eat? i'm a little worried about getting balanced nutrition if i have to eliminate a lot of things due to allergies...I guess we'll see what they say tomorrow.
    Yes, it IS frustrating! I eat a lot of rice, vegetables, fruits, and protein (meat, fish, chicken, egg). Thank goodness she's not allergic to eggs! A lot of rice crackers, rice bread, rice cereal, rice milk, rice everything. It's a good thing I like rice. A lot of grains have gluten so besides rice I eat quinoa, certified gluten-free oats, and sometimes corn. It's tough because BFing makes you so hungry... But you know, the other day I read someone else's post and she had way more restrictions than me--so it put everything in perspective!

Good luck, I hope you can figure out your LO's issues and also that you don't have to go off stuff (or at least too much stuff) in your diet!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

We saw her pedi this morning and she said she really didn't think I needed to change anything, which really surprised me. She said to cut back on the milk chocolate (candy bowl at work was my downfall...lol), but she didn't seem too concerned and said that the slimy poops were ok. She gave us little tester cards to put some samples on from her diapers if we saw mucous or blood & I'll bring those to her 4mo appointment in a couple weeks. Sooo I guess I'm not really sure if I should just keep w/the elimination of the obvious dairy or if I should try to go completely dairy free anyway. I know it's a pretty healthy diet...I want to look into replacing some of my snacks with dairy/soy free stuff just to limit the amount that she's getting.

Her pedi wasn't concerned, but are poopies supposed to be slimy? Or more runny? About the time they changed was when she went from pooping in every diaper to once every day or 2, so maybe they're just different b/c she's pooping less often? She is my first so I don't know what's normal

Just want to do what's best for my baby