Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: multi vit with floride

Default multi vit with floride

hi ladies,
    does anyone have advice on baby taking a multi vit with flouride? my son is 8 months old and has 2 teeth. my ped recommended a multi vit with flouride since we do not have it in our water (we have a well). i get the need for the flouride but do we need a multivit?
    thanks!
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Default Re: multi vit with floride

I can't really answer this as I am in the process of trying to switch pediatricians who always give conflicting advice. We also have well water, and I am concerned about the same thing! As far as the fluoride, one wanted to give me drops for her to take, another actually freaked on me and said he wouldn't give any to her, the last one said ask her dentist!!!! So I don't know. Also, I am curious about the vitamin thing myself. I thought as long as an infant was nursing and you were eating a balanced diet (and of course baby is gaining well and have great diaper outputs), these were unnecessary. I will be following your thread to see other's opinions. Thanks for posting such a great question!! Good luck!

We have flouride in our water since we have city water, but our dentist said that topical flouride is the best thing and so for our 2 year old we use a tiny amount of flouride toothpaste, and a little bit more for our 4 year old since he can spit it out.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Fluoride has been shown to be effective topically, but is not shown to be effective internally, and there are some possible health concerns about taking it internally. I think the vitamin is sort of a personal decision.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Oh yeah, as far as the multivitamin, I don't think there is a need. Vitamin D is necessary for some babies, but most of those infant multivitamins are full of all kinds of weird fillers, taste gross and are staining. Here is some information from LLL:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/vitamin.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/nb/nbjulaug04p124.html
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I would not give fluoride to my baby (fluoride is the most reactive element and a key ingredient to create atomic bombs. I don't want to get started about it...) and we get fluoride free bottle water. I think that as long as the baby has a balanced diet and nurses well, and is exposed to some sunlight, he/she will be OK. Don't let these doctors push synthetics and supplements on you (remember they are running a business, after all). I thought that children's toothpaste was fluoride free and that the element was not recommended for small children. Trust your body, it will provide all your treasure needs.
    First time mom to Little Luisa.

floride should be used topically. Use a tiny tiny smear of florinated toothpaste if your water is unflorinated. If it has floride in it though, use a non-floride toothpaste. Small amounts help prevent tooth decay, large amounts are toxic.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!