Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Baby wants to be at the breast for hours

Default Re: Baby wants to be at the breast for h

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*darwinthesun View Post
    Sorry my choice in words struck a nerve with you. I don't disagree that is what you are "supposed to do". I had a section, and there was not much else I could do anyway. But the problem is that no one prepared me for that, and it came as quite a shocker. I think from the amount of threads I see here about new moms constantly nursing, I am not alone in feeling unprepared.
    No, no! That's so not what I meant at all. I was agreeing with you. With my first I felt that way. With my second I realized it was what was natural and embraced it. I had 2 sections AND both of mine had such trouble that I EPd as well. 2 months with my first and 3 weeks with my second. What you said is spot on. Someone should warn us.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Mommas, it's been almost a week and the around-the-clock-non-stop nursing continues, along with its good friend, extreme sleep-deprivation (the other night my LO slept for 3 hours total and nursed the rest of the time). Did I also mention that she doesn't really nap for longer than 30 minutes at a time during the day?

Oh and at the moment of despair I tried to offer her a pacifier, but she vehemently rejected it (and actually got more upset by it). I guess I've got a smart baby on my hands, who wouldn't settle for a dummy if there's the real thing nearby.

The good news is that at the one month pediatrician appointment everything looked great: she has been gaining an ounce a day.

I've also tried side-laying again, but her latch is not good enough in that position and it was hurting pretty bad. Oh well...

Will I ever sleep again?
    Last edited by @llli*luckypixie; November 11th, 2011 at 05:04 PM.

when you're nursing while laying on your side, are you using a rolled up towel under your breast? Sometimes it's just a matter of making sure that your breast is at the right height for your baby's mouth. Hang in there mama, things WILL get better.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    when you're nursing while laying on your side, are you using a rolled up towel under your breast? Sometimes it's just a matter of making sure that your breast is at the right height for your baby's mouth. Hang in there mama, things WILL get better.
    and it's usually at the point where you break down and say you just can't take anymore. Get breaks where you can. I would prop myself in a way that my baby could be asleep on my chest while I slept too. That would get me at least an hour nap. Whatever works.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    and it's usually at the point where you break down and say you just can't take anymore. Get breaks where you can. I would prop myself in a way that my baby could be asleep on my chest while I slept too. That would get me at least an hour nap. Whatever works.
    It's almost as if the universe knows you're about to lose it and then things change. Hang in there mama. I know you hear that a lot. But if you literally take it one day at a time, you'll get through it with less stress than if you keep wondering what the future holds.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

My little bit is 11 days old today. He's had a tough run. I had a c-section at 37wks after developing pre-eclampsia at 36wks. He couldn't keep his blood sugar up in the hospital and was supplemented with formula. It took 3 days to get off the formula to straight breastfeeding but then he was diagnosed with the beginning of jaundice so the pediatrician said to feed every 2 hours. Well little dude does NOT want to eat that often! It takes over 20min to wake him up, and even then he'll just suck for a bit then hang out. I started using nipple shields since he's got a heckuva latch but read that it can affect the flow of the milk so that it might be taking longer to feed but when I tried no guards today it was back to square one as far as latching on, etc. Any advice? Besides hang in there, that's a given ) He's worth EVERYTHING, but I wish it wasn't quite the battle…