Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby wants to be at the breast for hours

Default Re: Baby wants to be at the breast for h

It is hard. Your rational mind says "I love my baby and want to give her everything she needs". But your emotional, sleep deprived side says "will you stop touching me!" be sure to take that breathing time. Personally, I'd rather be sleep deprived and get my adult awake time rather than go to bed early. It's what keeps me sane. Do what you need to do for you. It helps you be a better mom.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

You will get more hours away as time goes on, and you will miss it. Try to relax right now, do the sling (we love slings!), and just relax. Really my LLL leader made a good point the other night about this. She said this is a way to keep mom sitting/laying down which is what mom's really really need to do the first couple of months. If mom's sit and nurse they aren't up cleaning the house and other things they really shouldn't be doing yet. So this is natures way of keeping you off your feet! Think of it that way, of more of this is also good for you as well as your baby. And then make your space/s where you nurse her very conducive to relaxation for you. Have all the things you like around you, every thing that makes you feel pampered. Have hubby do his part too. And those small spaces of time where you aren't nursing, nap and take a bath, etc. All the things to refresh your own energy supplies. And before you know it this time will pass, and you will be putting them on a school bus and missing the days of just sitting and snuggling the little babe.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luckypixie View Post
    I'm a first-time mom and wondering if this is normal: my 2 week old baby seems to want to spend HOURS at the breast. Actively sucking for 5-10 minutes, then hanging out with a lazy suck here an there for 10-20 minutes, then actively sucking for another 5-10 minutes. She could go on and on an on.

Last night I spent 5 continuous hours with her at the breast. I think I'm going to lose my mind if this continues.

At her 2 week pediatrician appointment she showed a very good weight gain (an ounce a day) and while her latch is on the shallow side because she is small (so I have to always use both hands: one to compress the breast, and another to support her head), her diaper output is good and when LC consultant measured her weight gain before and after a feeding it was great as well, so she is getting the milk she needs.

Should I feel more free to break the latch if she is not actively sucking for 5+ minutes and simply offer the other breast or let her sleep in my arms? This non-stop nursing is driving me bonkers!

Oh my days, I know exactly how you feel. Respect to you for the fact you will sit there for hours because I surely couldn't and now i'm expressing. I do give him the breast once or twice a day..but really I express most the time. He would feed for hours on end and it made me mad -_- so I just pump for 15 minutes every 2-3 hours. Much better for me, stresses us both out less (as he does have a little trouble latching on) and gives me much more time as my husbands there to feed him for his feeds

I do admit putting the baby to the breast is 100x better than pumping and can see the supply of mlk is MUCH better when breastfeeding..

I EPed for 2 1/2 years. I would much rather make it over the short humps of baby wanting to be at the breast long periods of time then toting that pump around with me all the time. Constantly looking for some place to sit and pump every 2 to 3 hours, having to REALLY wake up to pump rather then roll over and put a boob in a mouth etc. No to mention all those pumping parts, bottles, etc to wash. And making sure the milk I pump doesn't go bad, and making sure we pack it to go with us, trying to get it room temp/warm for baby to eat while out and about. No way........would I ever want to pump over sitting for some hours with baby for a few weeks. In the beginning it seems easier, but in the end it is soooooooo no easier. And not only that, but really the bond you get with your baby while sitting with them for hours really is priceless. The pump also isnt nearly as cuddly as a baby.......just sayin'. lol

However, I guess I don't understand being mad that a baby wants their mommy and wants to eat/suck. they've been with you 9 months they don't understand all the sudden being away from you.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magnoliahoney View Post
    I EPed for 2 1/2 years. I would much rather make it over the short humps of baby wanting to be at the breast long periods of time then toting that pump around with me all the time. Constantly looking for some place to sit and pump every 2 to 3 hours, having to REALLY wake up to pump rather then roll over and put a boob in a mouth etc. No to mention all those pumping parts, bottles, etc to wash. And making sure the milk I pump doesn't go bad, and making sure we pack it to go with us, trying to get it room temp/warm for baby to eat while out and about. No way........would I ever want to pump over sitting for some hours with baby for a few weeks. In the beginning it seems easier, but in the end it is soooooooo no easier. And not only that, but really the bond you get with your baby while sitting with them for hours really is priceless. The pump also isnt nearly as cuddly as a baby.......just sayin'. lol

However, I guess I don't understand being mad that a baby wants their mommy and wants to eat/suck. they've been with you 9 months they don't understand all the sudden being away from you.
    x a million. I cried so many tears that I could not nurse this fourth baby because he is physically unable. I would have done ANYTHING to make it happen. EPing is MUCH MUCH harder in the LONG RUN. Short term gain, long term MAJOR loss. BTDT. And what are you going to do when baby needs to eat or be held but you need to pump...and you are the only one there? It's awful. Don't EP just because of this. Give it some more time. The first 6-8 weeks are like this. It gets better. I promise.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It does get better! I felt very stuck to the couch in the early weeks, but we are starting to go for longer stretches now (at almost 10 weeks). I can't imagine just pumping...I have to pump for work and the minute I get home I can't wait to nurse. I feel so separated after pumping all day!
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*darwinthesun View Post
    It does get better! I felt very stuck to the couch in the early weeks, but we are starting to go for longer stretches now (at almost 10 weeks). I can't imagine just pumping...I have to pump for work and the minute I get home I can't wait to nurse. I feel so separated after pumping all day!
    To the bolded. I think this is the biggest problem with breastfeeding in general. That's all you are supposed to be doing. I'm not even talking primitively speaking, but even in modern society. The first 6-8 weeks is supposed to only be about that baby. Which is why that's usually all an employer will give you. If women just resigned to getting nothing done, including socialize, shower or even sleep, then there would be so many more women who could succeed at breastfeeding. You're not stuck to the couch, it is your job. Yep, sometimes you have other children to care for. That's about the only acceptable excuse to peeling off the couch, in which case you need to take advantage of modern elements such as a sling. But if you just decide before you even have the baby that you will be "stuck to the couch" for 6-8 weeks then you aren't disappointed, stressed, worried or confused. You will know it's exactly the way it's meant to be.

Oh, and let's not forget the healing process, which does take at least 6-8 weeks. You're supposed to be resting for your own health as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    To the bolded. I think this is the biggest problem with breastfeeding in general. That's all you are supposed to be doing. I'm not even talking primitively speaking, but even in modern society. The first 6-8 weeks is supposed to only be about that baby. Which is why that's usually all an employer will give you. If women just resigned to getting nothing done, including socialize, shower or even sleep, then there would be so many more women who could succeed at breastfeeding. You're not stuck to the couch, it is your job. Yep, sometimes you have other children to care for. That's about the only acceptable excuse to peeling off the couch, in which case you need to take advantage of modern elements such as a sling. But if you just decide before you even have the baby that you will be "stuck to the couch" for 6-8 weeks then you aren't disappointed, stressed, worried or confused. You will know it's exactly the way it's meant to be.
    Sorry my choice in words struck a nerve with you. I don't disagree that is what you are "supposed to do". I had a section, and there was not much else I could do anyway. But the problem is that no one prepared me for that, and it came as quite a shocker. I think from the amount of threads I see here about new moms constantly nursing, I am not alone in feeling unprepared.
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Susan I cried a lot about my DD1 not nursing as well!

And yes, what the PP said as well. One of my LLL leaders brought that up the last meeting, she has 8 children, and she said being sit down/laying down is natures way of giving our bodies the time it needs to heal. We really NEED to be sitting or laying down these 6 to 8 weeks. Our bodies need it. Our babies also "need" it.

I read a book once that showed how other countries/cultures support the women more in these first few weeks, coming together to feed/care for etc of the family responsbilities of the mom so she can just breastfeed and care for her new baby. And how much higher bfing success is in these cultures. Makes sense for sure!

We are in a culture where you are supposed to just stick a bottle in the plug and go back to life like nothing happened less then 24 hours after birth. But, that's not healthy for baby or us.

I think the best thing to do is focus on the positive things we CAN do while nursing, rather then the negative of all the things we can't. IE we can get caught up on our email, lol, magazines, rest, etc. You can think of your own. lol And that helps a lot rather then focusing on other things you want to do. At the same time, to tell you the truth, it goes by so fast, you will be missing it when it's gone.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~