Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby wants to be at the breast for hours

Default Re: Baby wants to be at the breast for h

mommas, thank you for the pillow advice (in fact, I have both, boppy and breast friend and I like boppy better), but that wouldn't solve my problem, since I have to do breast compressions to help my LO with her shallow latch, and having both of my hands tied up for hours and hours is very tiring and depressing. Side-lying is super-uncomfortable for the same reason

Today I experimented with breaking LO's latch when she wasn't actively sucking anymore, but keeping her in my arms (instead of trying to put her in the bassinet) and she happily slept in my arms for an hour an a half before waking up hungry (instead of attached to by boob). I'd say that's progress!

Also it seems that she doesn't need as much help latching in a football hold (though it does make her gassier), so I'll try utilizing that as well.

One step at a time. You know you can unlatch her without it disturbing her, so that's good. I usually unlatch, wait about 10 minutes and then try to put my son down. I find if I do it gently, and then cover him with my hands while he gets use to the new place and after a few second removing my hands, he stays down. With my daughter I had to do the side laying, then roll away and replace myself with a pillow. Or I would just sit up and let her lean against my leg and I could at least have my hands free to use the computer - I worked from home then. Many find success with nursing in a sling so they can be up and about. But I'm too small and was never able to swing it. All in good time. You're still in the sitting stage.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Is it bad that I'm kind of jealous as I sit here procrastinating going to pump for the 8,976,045 time (not really, but that is what it seems like!) and I just realized I'm going to be a but short because Immissed a session today.I miss cuddling my baby at my breast and not worrying about how much milk I have. I know it can be overwhelming though, especially if you need to get up to go to the bathroom or something.

Try swaddling baby before nursing. Sometimes that helps you be able to put them down.

If its the comfort sucking that is the proble, work on side lying nursing. You won't need compressions for this.

This will pass. Just keep with it!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I think you'll get the hang of side lying nursing as she gets a bit older. I was worried about dylan's latch being too shallow in that position, and we really got the hang of it around 8 weeks. For a long time he refused to nurse in any other position!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I remember how you feel it can be very frustrating. My son did it for about a month then slowly slowed down. He still cluster feeds occasionally especially if he is coming into a growth spurt. It will get better in time. Do you have a boppy? That thing was a life saver (and still is) he could just lay on the pillow and then I could have at least one hand free. DH often would bring my dinner to the couch and tried to keep my water full which helped alot.

Good luck and remember it gets better.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Mommas, I'm back again, I just don't know if I can keep this up much longer

LO is at the breast (not even sleeping in my arms, but actually at the breast) for 8-9 hours each day (24 hour period). Not to mention I can NEVER put her down for a nap during the day, because she immediately wakes up and screams for the boob. I can barely manage going to the bathroom, not to mention anything else.

LO is 4 weeks tomorrow and I just don't know how I'm going to get through yet another cluster feeding marathon tonight after having her at my boob non-stop since 1pm (it's 5pm now).

Any advice? Is it too early to try a pacifier? Will that hurt my milk supply? (kellymom advises to wait until after 6-8 weeks, but I'm afraid I'm going to lose my mind if I have to do this for another 2 weeks).

If you're afraid you're going to lose your mind, offer a pacifier now
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

If everything else is going well try the pacifier. It's better than quitting all together and going for the bottle.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Do you have a sling? If so, give that a whirl, and two of mine got a pacifier because I could tell they had a high suck need, but letting them hang out gave me a terrible OS. It's a matter of balance.
    And learn to nurse laying down

Also, your baby could be going through a growth spurt, so it might be like this for a while longer. Some babies really need to be that close to mom.

I am also going to tell you straight, having fed kids every possible way. Bottle feeding does NOT mean your baby is going to be a great sleeper or not want to be held. My fourth kid.. He was the worst because he had a high suck need And wanted to be held all the time, but can't hold a pacifier in and can't nurse. So I had to do it for him. Bottle feeding was just more work, as I could not just lay there and nap with him. Instead, I was pumping,feeding, washing, over and over for 12 long weeks. This WILL pass. Most moms say around 6 weeks, my oldest was 8...but the corner always seems to come when you think you can't take any more.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; November 6th, 2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you all again! Somehow I got through that evening and the next morning things looked better. If what my baby needs is to be close to me for now, I should be able to give this to her, instead of trying to fight her. Though I won't lie, I do look forward to being able to having at least a few hours a day when I'm not breastfeeding. Hopefully I will in a few weeks.