Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump in Style versus Symphony

Default Pump in Style versus Symphony

I have been renting the Symphony ever since my twins were in the NICU last year. However the costs are adding up quite a bit (15 months worth.) I am thinking of changing to the Pump in Style, but wondered if that would cause a dip in what I can pump out while I am working. I already feel like I am hitting a wall again with the hospital grade one even with new membranes and such. My breasts are full sometimes, but I just cannot get a good letdown or two to get it all especially overnight. I get up to pump since I am full and so it is extra milk they can drink ( don't want my supply to tank!) Has anyone changed pumps or had experience with the Pump in Style?

Default Re: Pump in Style versus Symphony

I have the Pump in Style that I use at work and I think it works great. I have never used the Symphony before so I cannot give a good comparison... but the Pump in Style is extremely portable which makes it easy to haul back in forth for work. Everything is packed away and concealed in a "tote" and I usually throw my wallet in there and it becomes my pumping purse.

As far as performance, like I said I cannot compare, but I usually pump 3-5 oz per 15 minute sitting (for just a single baby) so I think it is quite effective at removing milk.
    July 27 2011

The Symphony works better, as it has twice the power of a PISA and is smoother. But I get what you are saying. I'm trying to decide do I keep the Symphony after G is 12 months because it is expensive, and rely on my other pumps, or do I keep it?

I have met some moms who were EPing and then switched to a hospital grade pump after the LOs were 12 months and eating solids well, so the milk was not a primary source of nutrition, and they did OK. I have talked to a couple moms who EPed with a PISA alone, but they quit pumping at 12 months because they started to have supply problems (I suspect they wore the pump out).
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I just returned the Symphony and bought a PISA. The Symphony was more effective for me. I have also noticed if I increase the suction with the PISA I'm a little sore whereas I never, ever had soreness with the Symphony. I'm waiting to see how it all works for us when I return to work, but I may rent a Symphony again and leave it at work.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

The Symphony is great, but not chargeable. I am trying to figure out how to pump in an airport with it. It won't be easy.

I used a symphony while I was in the hospital, but I have a PISA at home. It definitely is different and might take getting used to, but I haven't had any issues with it. I get the same amount from the PISA as I did with the symphony as well, but I am not EPing.
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Most airports have wall plugs where you can plug the Symphony in I wish it had a battery pack. You can also get a car charger for it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I think I'll keep the Symphony until April and then get a PIS for my trip since it is smaller. My twins will be 21 months (18 adjusted) then so it should be fine if they do not wean prior to then. They are certainly still liking to feed quite alot some days which is helping while I stock the freezer. Keeping it up since they were so earlier and it has made a difference I believe. They are not really behind for their age developmentally.