Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Head size?

Default Head size?

Not sure where else to post this...

I'm probably worrying more than I should, but I find that my baby's head is small when I compare it to other babies even younger than her. I know we shouldn't compare but it's almost impossible not to do.

She is almost 3 months born at 7. 3 and now is 10.8 and about 24 inches long.

I had an xray preformed during my pregnancy since they wanted to rule out active TB. I worry that they may have caused something??

Her ped says that she will probably just have a small head, but of course I worry.

She coos lots, has been smiling since about 4 weeks and moves lots. Hope all is fine

Default Re: Head size?

Is it staying at a consistent percentile? I would worry if it dropped, but if your ped isn't worried, you should try not to worry. If she is developing fine, try to trust that.

Is your head on the small side? We have big heads in our family and the babies always had heads that were on the bigger size. Try to remember that "normal" has a wide variation. On a positive note, this means that your LO will always be able to wear the cute little hats that come with the outfits. My kiddos would sometimes outgrow the hats before they even were big enough to wear the outfits.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I agree...if she's staying on track for her percentile, I wouldn't worry about it. We all come in different shapes and sizes. DD1 could barely wear hats and headbands, but on DD2 the same hats and headbands are HUGE. I have a smaller head and hubby has a larger head. So it's just differences in people. Compared to most nieces and nephews, my three year old looks very tall and chubby, but around peers her own age, she'll look big compared to some and tiny compared to others. I know it's really hard not to compare (victim of it myself!) but it really doesn't provide an accurate tool for basing how well your child is doing. There will always be someone bigger or someone smaller than her. Just keep an eye on the growth pattern. That's the real way to ensure all is well! Sounds like she's is going wonderfully to me!

My son had a small head, too, but after a while it slowly started to creep up on the percentile chart. At one point his head, length and weight were 25%, 50%, 75%, respectively, on the charts. We joked about his little head and chubby body but were never really concerned because his other development was just fine. It sounds like your daughter's development is going well, so relax and enjoy watching her grow.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

It has been my experience that pediatricians are super on top of head growth. Checking fontanelles, measurements, facial features, etc. I think on this one I would relax and trust in what my pediatrician thought.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Don't worry about the xray.... I am an xray tech, I work in an area where we do catheterizations and stand in the room during the procedures( wearing lead aprons of course). But in five years working 40 hrs I never accumulated an amount dangerous for a fetus. (i mean in all 5 years added together). I worked through both pregnancies as well with no issues and was monitored closely wearing an extra radiation detector on my belly. But the should have put a lead apron below your chest( they may have just wheeled it behind you)! No worries there! IMO if the pedi isn't worried try and relax! Easier said than done I know
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!

Thanks ladies! She has has increased in head size but has remained around the same percentile which is why doc is not worried. My son had a much bigger head too, but I think he took after me and she takes after my husband

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    It has been my experience that pediatricians are super on top of head growth. Checking fontanelles, measurements, facial features, etc. I think on this one I would relax and trust in what my pediatrician thought.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just reminding yourself, "She can wear the cute hats."

DD had one outfit that was sized 6-9 months that she probably couldn't have worn the hat as a newborn, let alone at 6 months.

Out of your three basic measurements head size is the one that is easy to measure and not that variable day to day. So if your ped doesn't worry about it, trust your ped.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting