Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quick question

Question Quick question

DS is 4 months and has always been fed one breast per feeding unless he is still hungry...then I nurse him on the second. This doesn't happen often, maybe once a day. Am I doing the wrong thing?

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: Quick question

Sounds just right to me. The first is dinner. The second is dessert. Baby might or might not be in the mood for dessert.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Nope. Lots of people Block feed. If your child is happy after one breast that it fine. My son always pnly ate of one breast until after his year birthday. Then because there was less milk, he consistently started nursing off both sides. But for the entire length of time that breastmilk was his sole nutrition he only ate off one side. If it works, it's fine!

Way too lazy for formula

I don't think so. I do that all of the time.
    The love of my life, Rogelio Federico aka Tre, was born on 22 July 2011.
    Active Duty Army Mom thats hates , but loves : and

Actually my LC told me to do that with my first DD, and then the nurses and two other LCs told me to do it with my DD2. Sounds fine to me as long as there's healthy weight gain and good diaper output. If he seems content and happy and is doing the above well, don't mess with the good system you have going!

Sounds like you're following your baby's cues, which is the best thing you can do. Many babies only need to nurse on one side per feeding and, as you've found, he'll let you know when he needs more!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--