Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best Manual Pump?

Default Best Manual Pump?

I have a Medela PIS, but for some reason I prefer and get better results with a manual pump. I'm hoping that someone can give me advice on a superb manual pump.

Default Re: Best Manual Pump?

The only manual pumps I would probably try are the Avent Isis, the Medela Harmony and the Simplisse. I used an Isis for five years. Almost bought a Medela on Babysteals today, but I decided against it in the end.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I only used an Avent Isis when I was breastfeeding Logan and I too preferred it over the PIS. I was better able to do breast compressions while pumping and regularly pumped more milk with it than with the double electric.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Is it cheaper on babysteals?

It was a complete kit being offered today.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I used a Medela Harmony for manual. It works well, but prefer the PIS. It's odd that you better results with manual. A lot of times I had to keep it on a lower setting though. If it was too high and conmfortable I wouldn't produce as much. I had to be relaxed.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*differjean View Post
    It's odd that you better results with manual.
    Some women do. I did. One of the reasons for this can be the extra stimulation given to the breast while manually pumping.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

I love my Avent Isis. I took the massaging pad out myself but you gotta experiment with it yourself. At times I can get more out of the manual than I do from my Lansinoh Affinity. The manual pump is great for those late night relief sessions!

i have the harmony and like it. mostly use it as a backup for my hygeia if the power is out at work (or i forget a part....) and at home when i want to pump to comfort instead of to capacity since i am trying to decrease my supply a bit...just takes a lot longer than the double electric.
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces