Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Issues with Sam #2

Default Re: Issues with Sam #2

Just to add too Sam and I are GF starting today
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Have you been tested or plan to be?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Planned to be but if I cut it out my understanding is that the test will be non reactive so it would be a moot point right?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

jenna, i am so glad you like the new doc's office! I would call your doc asap if you are cutting out gluten to see if he can get the ball rolling on testing for you. I also wanted to say that I agree 100% with Teal about your digestive health and possible issues w/Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Planned to be but if I cut it out my understanding is that the test will be non reactive so it would be a moot point right?
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But it's also my understanding that you should cut gluten unless you know it bothers you. Because it could have adverse effects.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Jenna, do you think you could get in with your doctor to get tested right away? It would be worth it to do it before it's out of your system. Then you could try cutting it out even with negative results since it is possible to have non-Celiac gluten intolerance.

I think DH regrets that his doctor told him to cut gluten out before testing him. It would suck not knowing for sure if you did start feeling better and then having to make yourself sick in order to get the testing again.

If you need any gluten free help let me know. I have some good GF cooking blogs.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But it's also my understanding that you should cut gluten unless you know it bothers you. Because it could have adverse effects.
    I don't think that cutting out gluten has any adverse effects even for someone without Celiac. There really isn't anything in gluten-containing grains that you can't get elsewhere. DH eats vegetables, fruits, meat, potatoes, rice, beans, etc plus some GF bread. Cutting out gluten for a lot of people sometimes means cutting out a lot of things they don't really need to eat anyway, like cookies, cake, pastries, etc.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Hmm I get that but what is the benefit of having the tests done, either you feel better or not what is the question? Beth why does your DH regret it what would change?
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

As far as I was ever able to tell, a short test of removing it does no harm. A long-term removal makes reintroduction challenging for some folks. But, short-term, it was obvious that both of my kids (and myself, for that matter) did much better without it. The difference being that we don't have a diagnosis that a school might need to provide a special diet (or allow us to bring in one, depending on the way the school is set up) and we can't write off our GF foods in our taxes as medical costs. Didn't seem like a big enough deal FOR US (everyone gets to make their own cost benefit analysis, of course) to know if it was an intolerance or an allergy or celiac. We only know that it makes a huge difference.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I think there's also differences in severity as well, and that's why a test might be a good idea. At least that's my understanding of it, MIL has it. But, I don't know for certain if it's better to cut it out now or later. I'm glad you found a Dr you guys feel comfortable with!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97