Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Issues with Sam #2

Default Re: Issues with Sam #2

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    It's just so hard to not take this personally you know, in addition ti mommy worry and guilt, when you baby has an issue with his food and you are literally his food....well it's frustrating
    I totally get that.

You might consider backing off solids for a little while, too. In case it does turn out to be something he's eating directly. I think I remember you saying the issues started right around the time you started solids.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

His height hasn't increased at all either? Or just his weight?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Jenna, am I remembering correctly that you have been having digestive difficulties? If not, please disregard all of this. But - if I am, that would be another avenue that you could pursue to help Sam. If we as Mom's are having leaky gut issues, then it messes with our blood composition (throws off the balance of minerals, etc, and also allows undigested food proteins into our blood), and the milk we make is directly from our bloodstream. Probiotics are a great start, but I would also recommend them for you. And look at maybe trying GF, if you haven't already. It can take some time to heal your gut, but if you are GF, then at least the gluten won't be getting to Sam, because it won't be in your bloodstream. (btw, I don't mean to imply any blame. I know so clearly that mom-guilt you're talking about. I'm just throwing out an idea you can explore. I just can't help but wonder if there is any connection between the health concerns you both are experiencing.)
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Kim no increase in weight or height

teal great ideas i will try them right away thanks
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I hope it helps.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Good point Teal. Jenna, did you read that article I posted awhile ago about how a mother's gut can affect her child's gut? Interesting concept.

Jenna, and that will be a good thing about seeing a pediatric GI. He/she should ask you about your own history and might also have some insight about your situation as well, and suggestions about your course of action even if he/she can't treat you. I know that was the case when we brought Levi to the pediatric GI... he had suggestions about what DH should do about his gluten intolerance/possible Celiac.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Well I feel much better after seeing Dr. fleiss's nurse practitioner. His staff was awesome, he were unable to see us at the last minute because he injured his hand in a fall, but I kept the appointment anyway, his NP was super knowledgeable and had a great bedside manner, perfect because I was so high strung. Anyway in general they were super interactive with Sam, talking and touching him, smiling, etc. I felt like he was actually being examined as opposed to simply questioning me. Little things like I held him and nursed in a glider while talking to her instead of sitting him nude on a piece of paper in a cold office.

Anyway substantively she said in essence that he is fine, his head circumference is in 80 TH percentile and that is what she would also look for in a FTT baby, she said he is happy, interactive, meeting developmental milestones, etc so not to worry. She says that some babies simply don't take to solids and he may be too busy exploring, etc to be interested in eating, also that he burns through BM quickly so he just uses what he takes in. However we want to do "watchful waiting" and see if he gains anything over the next two weeks. I have some great suggestions for smoothies and food additives to use along with BF, but to not feel bad if he doesn't eat much solid food. When I come back in 2 weeks I will weigh him, meet with the doc and discuss which GI we will go to. We want to get a better understanding and handle on the reflux because that can definitely contribute to lack of interest in solids, but it will be a real team approach with the GI.

She also said his fontanel was fine for his age.

I took my mom who is more pro medical establishment along, I wanted to avoid doc shopping...looking until I got an opinion that corresponded with my own. She had the exact same feeling as I, just overall comfort and trust. Hard to describe but we both just felt more like what she wanted to do was the way to go and that she really examined and looked at Sam prior to making any comments.

I'm canceling his appointment for xrays and instead am going to go back in 2 weeks and do the weight and pedi GI approach.

I feel so much better and am glad I chose this path, that is due largely to all your smartness llladies s thanks for the insight and encouragement. I will update when we see him again.

Thanks!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Jenna, I'm so glad you feel better about everything. It sounds like they have you on the right track.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Glad to hear it. Trusting the person giving the diagnosis makes a world of difference too. Don't let your instincts get lost in the worry.