Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Issues with Sam #2

Default Issues with Sam #2

Sorry I know I keep complaining about this. We had the 9 month well baby check up today (he's still 8.5 months though). As I stated in the allergy thread he has got gained any weight or height since 6 months. His head circumference is ok at least though. He is 75% percentile for head cicumference and height and now 12th for weight (I was wrong in my calculations last time). Anyway this pedi has ordered a x-ray to determine if his internal anatomy is ok and the we will look into nutrition

The thing is this pedi is totally mainstream, I stopped going to her for a while with Max and drove 1 hour to go to a pedi I found via Dr. Sears, but now that Max is older and has no real issues...anyway her suggestions are BS...like feeding him 3 meals per day and using BM as more of a suppliment now that we are over 6 months old. I started fighting her but really whats the point. I'm going to do the xray next Friday and look for another doctor. I wish Dr. Gordon could get him in. . Any suggestions? I feed him on demand and he truly doesnt like solids...he is offered solids all the time and is not interested. I think adding coconut oil to cereal (which for some strange reason he does like) and what else?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: Issues with Sam #2

Yeah, the ped's advice sounds pretty off.

Remind me, what was the outcome of the allergist appointment? And are you possibly going to see a pediatric GI?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Jenna: I can understand Your concern... Does it help to remember that height is the hardest dimension to measure in a squirmy baby? They wriggle one way and they gain an inch, wriggle another and lose an inch. It's quite possible that Sam just got some length on credit at his 6 month appointment and that made him seem like he hadn't grown at 8.5 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Okay, I found the old thread with what the allergist recommended. I think that this pediatrician is out of her area of expertise with this and should refer you to a pediatric GI. Her advice is just not right. I know the allergist recommended seeing a GI, and I think that's a good idea. Are you still looking around for one? I wish you were closer to Monterey, because we had an awesome one there. Has Sam been sick at all between the 6 month and 9 month weights?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

not sick really but teething big time so i know he didnt eat as much. Also she mentioned that his soft spot is still completely oen, does anyone know what this may suggest? She said it should be on its way to being closed. I want to try to get into Dr.Gordon so badly.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

yes I am going to find a pedi GI, I just was waiting to see what she would say at this apointment.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

i don't know anything about the food allergy stuff - but I know Max's (my Max) head didn't close up entirely til well after a year and before that- and certainly at 9 months it was very open and our ped didn't seem concerned . Good luck finding a better doctor.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Oh Jenna, I wish I had something more to offer. Did the dr. Explain WHY she would start to use BM as a supplement? I can't understand why she would say that. I hope you get to see another Dr. and find some answers. Has anyone mentioned giving him a probiotic? You could put it in BM, or in his cereal. I know I always mention these, but probiotics have helped Hunter a ton. When he's teething, all that extra saliva messes with his tummy. I give it to him, and it eliminates the diarrhea. I don't know, maybe it would help a bit with Sam's tummy.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Jenna, I'm sorry I can't remember if you mentioned it in your other thread, but does he have funky poops? I know when D was having absorption issues he never had normal poop. It was always runny and green, frequently mucousy. And have they done any kind of metabolic panels (blood tests) to determine whether he's malnourished in any way?

I hope you can find a different doc that you feel is more informed about nursing and allergies, etc. I think they would be able to put your mind at ease somewhat.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Poop is normal...peanut butter consistency or sometimes looser but not bloody, mucusy, etc. Blood test and probiotics are great ideas. I think I'm either d
    Going to drive to see Dr. bob Sears or up to Dr. fleise I actually can get into Dr. jay Gordon but I can't afford him in all seriousness.

Mean time probiotics, offer breast and higher caloric solids?

It's just so hard to not take this personally you know, in addition ti mommy worry and guilt, when you baby has an issue with his food and you are literally his food....well it's frustrating

Thanks for the suggestions and advice llladies
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language