Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating too much at one month old?

Default Eating too much at one month old?

I took my 1 month old to the pediatrician today and she is in the 90th percentile for weight and length (I am happy for a robust, healthy baby!) but the doctor implied that maybe I should be feeding her less, giving her the pacifier more and trying to sooth her other ways before resorting to the breast. My daughter likes to comfort nurse, but genuinely eats too. She will eat about every 2-2.5 hours during the day and 3-4 hours at night. In the early evening hours, when she is more fussy, she will comfort nurse more often. The pediatrician seems to think that I should occasionally let her comfort nurse, and look for other means of soothing her. Would you agree with that advice? Should I be worried at this point that she is gaining too much weight? Both my husband and I were bigger babies, so maybe it is in her genes?! Should I be limiting the time she spends comfort nursing? Sounds kinda crazy to me...

By the way, this pediatrician is very much in favor of breastfeeding, she apparently nursed all three of her children, so I am slightly inclined to consider her point of view.

Default Re: Eating too much at one month old?

That sounds like wonky advice from a breastfeeding friendly pediatrician. At 1 month you should be nursing on demand. Also, most EBF babies will gain a lot more weight initially. At that age DS2 was in the 90th or so for weight, but now he's 25th (or possibly less) at almost 2 years. She sounds like she has the eating pattern of a perfectly healthy EBF baby.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Even if she is a generally good pediatrician, that doesn't sound like the best advice. If your daughter is also long, then her weight is likely proportional to her length. There are growth curves that plot weight against height, and that is the curve that my pediatrician is usually most interested in because weight is more meaningful with respect to length.

I wouldn't worry about your baby's weight. I would continue to nurse her on demand as you have been. She's clearly doing great by you allowing her to comfort nurse!
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    Even if she is a generally good pediatrician, that doesn't sound like the best advice.
    You might want to shop for a new pedi. Just think what that advice does for mothers and babies who don't have someone to ask their breastfeeding questions.

Being a "breastfeeding-friendly" pediatrician doesn't automatically mean you give great advice about breastfeeding. Your pediatrician may be speaking from her own experience as a mom, rather than from her medical knowledge. Maybe her babies really benefitted from using a pacifier, and maybe she did as well- but that doesn't mean that you or your baby will. And you know your baby best. If she gives you cues that make you think she's hungry, you're pretty much guaranteed to be right about what your baby needs. After all, you're with your baby 24 hours a day, and the pediatrician sees her every couple of months for 20 minutes. Who knows her best, right?

If you're at all concerned about your baby's weight, don't be. It's totally normal for a breastfed baby to gain weight very rapidly in the first few months, and then start dropping down the charts as she enters the middle of the first year. As babies become mobile, they tend to put lots of energy into motion instead of packing their calories on as fat. And, as my pediatrician says "Breastfed babies can't walk around all day with the bottle hanging out of their mouths, so they just naturally lean out.".

In short, enjoy the baby chub while it lasts, because it doesn't last long!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son grew very quickly in the beginning (and he has a pacifier!) and has really thinned out now that he is 9 months old. The reason that is not good advice is not because she suggested a pacifier. You nurse a one month old baby on demand! Your not "resorting" to the breast. And most definitely you would always offer the breast first even if you had a pacifier.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Thanks everyone...I knew I felt funny about the pediatrician's advice. I think I may be in the market for a new one.