Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ketoconazole 2% cream for thrush

Default Ketoconazole 2% cream for thrush

Hello ladies:

Has anyone know anything about this cream. The doctor prescribed it to me and told me to keep nursing, but the package said that it was not known if it was passed through the milk, or if it might affect your baby.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance.

Luisa
    First time mom to Little Luisa.

Default Re: Ketoconazole 2% cream for thrush

Is this for nipple thrush? So the baby would come into direct contact with it?

Hale's book says it's probably safe, but it seems to be talking about its use either in shampoo or after ingestion by the mother, so it's not clear to me whether having it applied to the nipple falls under the same category.

I'd recommend calling InfantRisk at 806-352-2519; they'll be able to give info based on your specific situation. And if you get a chance, please let me know what they say!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I am having trouble posting the response.

I was having trouble getting on... Karen: Thank you so much for that number. I called and they told me that the medicine is scheduled at L2 (L1 being safe, L5 do not take) and that it can be used topically, orally and in shampoo. She told me to just make sure to wash it off well before Lulu feeds (with soap). I apply the med after feeding her for the night, and after feeding her in the am, that way a few hours will go by before she feeds again. I am also taking probiotics and virgin coconut oil. I also use the coconut oil as a moisturizer (I read that it has anti-fungal properties) since the weather is changing and the doctor told me that dry nipples would make it worse. I started this regimen on Tuesday and I feel much better. I am really nervous about being recurrent so I want to get rid of it all the way.

Thanks for the support, this place is so great!

Luisa