Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Poor weight gain

Exclamation Very Poor weight gain

dd2 has been having trouble gaining weight. She was gaining very quickly in the first month. But then her weight gain started getting less and less. Her dr. wasn't overly concerned as dd1 is a very lean child, but has suggested I bring her back in 2 months.

We have started solids and currently I'm doing BLW (she generally has 3 meals a day and no infant cereal, she gets meat instead). We have been having trouble with have regular bm's and I've been giving her things like prunes regularly ( i tried prune juice but she's refusing the bottle of seringe that I'm using). I'm currently trying to bf her more frequently as well. I'll offer it every hour and a half if she'll take it.

Some of the problems that we're having is that she won't stay on the breast very long. She has an older sister and another little girl I babysit that is far more interesting than nursing. I try to keep her on the first breast as long as I can. I try massaging to help her get the last milk but once my let down is done She won't stay on the breast. Instead she wants the other one. I'll offer the other breast and again she'll drink until it's slowed down and that's it. Even if I offer her the first breast again, she's done and won't eat anymore. I really want her to gain more weight for the next dr.'s appointment but no idea on how else to go about it. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

Default Re: Very Poor weight gain

How old is your LO? My 6 MO is like this, so I try to feed her often in a quiet,darkened room, and that seems to help. She very, very rarely will NIP, and seems to like waking, playing, eating then sleeping, vs. wake, eat, play, sleep. Also, she seems to eat better when drowsy (probably b/c I have OALD and OS), so I still sometimes dreamfeed if I think she didn't get enough during the day, but it's rare, b/c she often will STTN, and I don't think she'd do that if she was starving.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

What is her weight history?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

How long is not very long when it comes to nursing? Babies can become very efficient at nursing. DS1 never comfort nursed so we were one, two, three, done very quickly. (I don't actually have three boobs but he did seem to be convinced I did. ) For weight gain, you might want to try to maximize the fat content of the solids you give your LO--avocados, whole milk yogurt, etc.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

My 6 month olds are very distracted while eating and this has been happening for probably 2 months now.
    Also, a doctor visit every 2 months at this age isn't overly frequent-to me it seems like the Dr isn't too concerned about her weight if you don't need to visit sooner.
    But giving us a weight history will be very helpful.
    Nursing in a quiet environment/room (for me it means I can't talk, watch tv, and try to keep my toddler out of the room) may also help.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Well she was born weighing 6lb 9oz. The first month she was gaining a little less than a lb a week. Currently she weighs 14lb and 11 oz. She's now in the bottom 10th percentile...I guess I'm feeling really concerned because I was in the waiting room with a bunch of moms who's babies were younger than mine and all a good deal bigger and heavies. I've tried nursing in a dark room but I don't feel comfortable doing this and I'm a child care provider to younger children. I have however been giving her motrin for her teething at night. She's got all the classic signs of teething including disturbed sleep. When I first questioned the dr. about giving her children's advil his response was "would you take some tylenol if your wisdom teeth hurt, there is no reason you can give her some before bed" so that's what I've been doing. I'm worried that even though this is helping her sleep better it's allowing her to sleep different and not allow her to wake up and nurse. I'm not sure if she wakes up to nurse during the night when she has motrin as I co-sleep and often don't wake up. I know the nights I give her some medicine she's up about every 1 1/2 to nurse and then often doesn't know what she wants. I'll offer her the breast and she'll roll away and cry. I'll offer her the soother and she'll cry and take it out. and after about 15 min of this go back to sleep (hence the motrin :$).

What do you guys think. I'm not suppose to give her dairy until she's 9 months old...at least that's what the health visitors tell me
    born 03/24/11, and and

From your siggy it shows your LO is almost 8 months, so I bet teething is a big factor. I also have the same plan of attack... I give DD tylenol & zantac along with gas drops at bed time and she seems to usually sleep better. She does still wake up occasionally around 1AM, but usually sleeps from 9-5. I really think it is teething
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Her weight doesn't sound problematic to me. She has more than doubled her birthweight. Some babies are smaller than others, and it sounds like that's what's in her genes.

As far as staying on the breast, DS2 at that age was a super fast nurser. He was gaining weight fine, but he would nurse for 3 minutes and then go back to playing.

As far as the lack of poop, that is also normal for that age! DS2 often went 2 weeks without pooping. As long as it's soft when she poops it's not problematic and there is no reason for prune juice. I know it was weird to me too at first since DS1 always pooped daily.

Is she otherwise happy, healthy, meeting milestones, I wouldn't worry.
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

She is happy and other than not laughing yet (it's my favorite milestone!) she's meeting all her milestones....i just worry she's not getting enough. I mean I know that's silly as she would let me know if something was amiss....it's just a worry I have though. Seeing how small she is. I should really be use to it as dd1 has always been tall and very lean. I try to feed her all the time and I'm always getting comments that she's too skinny and I need to feed her more, etc. So I should be surprised the dd2 is following the same route....i just worry that's all
    born 03/24/11, and and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hummingbird View Post
    She is happy and other than not laughing yet (it's my favorite milestone!) she's meeting all her milestones....i just worry she's not getting enough. I mean I know that's silly as she would let me know if something was amiss....it's just a worry I have though. Seeing how small she is. I should really be use to it as dd1 has always been tall and very lean. I try to feed her all the time and I'm always getting comments that she's too skinny and I need to feed her more, etc. So I should be surprised the dd2 is following the same route....i just worry that's all
    It's natural for a mommy to worry. I know we all could tell you not to worry and you still would. But she really sounds like she's doing great!
    Beth