Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing Myself and stuff

Default Introducing Myself and stuff

Hi ladies!
    I'm a second time mom, with a three year old and an almost three month old. My older daughter got the colostrum and then after some hardships including a nasty GI bug, she went to formula at about 2 weeks old. This second time around, I really wanted to breastfeed. I read a little more about it, asked questions to nurses and LCs right after delivery and I'm proud to say that my daughter is loving it as well as me!
    A couple of things I wanted to throw out there- I may not be engorged but I will definitely feel full-er and just as let-down occurs, I get a strange sensation in my breast. It doesn't hurt but I would equivocate it to a blast of cold and then warmth. Almost like my breast has a case of brain freeze for a second!
    Lastly, I have a Lansinoh Affinity Pump and it works great and all but I'm wondering if it's okay that after 15-20 minutes I'll have an average of 1 1/2 or 2 ounces in each bottle? I read of other women getting 3-4 ounces and I keep telling myself, hey the kiddo seems happy with what you've got. I still wonder though, you know?

Default Re: Introducing Myself and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krazykat View Post
    Hi ladies!
    Lastly, I have a Lansinoh Affinity Pump and it works great and all but I'm wondering if it's okay that after 15-20 minutes I'll have an average of 1 1/2 or 2 ounces in each bottle? I read of other women getting 3-4 ounces and I keep telling myself, hey the kiddo seems happy with what you've got. I still wonder though, you know?
    Congrats for sticking with it and succeeding!

Is it 1.5 to 2 ounces per bottle after nursing or instead of nursing? Either way, that is good supply. When I pump instead of nurse (at work), I get a total of 3-4 ounces (both sides combined) each time. I wouldn't worry at all!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Welcome and congrats on your baby!

Do you need to pump? Keep in mind everyone has different outputs. Also the baby is far more efficient so like you said if baby is satisfied don't look at the pump output. If you are working and need more pumped milk, I would head on down to the pumping section of this forum.

The sensation you mention sounds exactly like a letdown to me. I would be concerned if it hurt or was a deep breast burning. And not all women get engorged.

All in all it sounds like you are doing great!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

with PP--that really sounds like a letdown to me. DH tries not to laugh when I get them when I am not nursing and I start grabbing at my breasts and dancing around--of course that only happens when they happen at home. I don't tend to get random let downs anymore and my letdowns when LO is nursing are much less tingly now.

That is about what I used to get with my first two when I pumped at work. I get more with this one.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I am a first time mom of a 2 month old so I don't know much but it seems crazy how it can vary from person to person. I just met with the lactation consultant over the weekend and my supply seems fine but I never feel a let down....

Welcome to the forum!

As previous posters noted, pumping output depends on whether you are doing it after a nursing session or in place of.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months